Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: What do you think of the Chevy `Spark ?
I like it, I'd buy one
0%
I'd trade my Monte Carlo 4 one
0%
I don't like it at all
100.00%
Maybe, after I see it & test drive one
0%
I'd buy two of them
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

> Add a `Spark 2 your Life (a Chevy `Spark) this is not laugh'in matter <

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 06:51 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Talking > Add a `Spark 2 your Life (a Chevy `Spark) this is not laugh'in matter <

Hi Member's,
Sorry to let you know that this is not about a new Monte Carlo , but Chevy is building a `Spark 4 you
Post your thoughts: pro's & con's
Everyone needs a little `Spark in their life ? Don't they ?

2013 Chevrolet Spark - First Drive

This tiny Chevy delivers a big wake up call to the competition.

By Nick Kurczewski
August 23, 2012

Slideshow >>
More Chevrolet Vehicles >>

<!--/photos-video-wrapper-->
<!-- /Main photo wrapper --><!-- test output end: --><!-- the article, at a glance, downloads, top competitors, from buying guide --><!-- left column -->The 2013 Chevrolet Spark is the bowtie brand’s first salvo into the mini car market here in North America, where it will compete with the likes of the Fiat 500, Smart Fortwo and Scion iQ. With all due respect, you’d be right in guessing expectations weren’t sky high when Chevrolet handed over the keys to a wide range of Spark models here in New York City as part of a nationwide media tour. After all, the best thing about many previous pint-sized Chevrolets has been their adaptability to serve as the punch line jokes. With a couple of well-timed limericks already floating around in my head, the Spark and I headed onto the mean streets of Manhattan and Brooklyn.

2013 Chevrolet Spark

Getting Back to Basics
Opting for the base model doesn’t mean looking like a cheapskate to the outside world. With a starting price of $12,995 (including destination charge), the entry-level Spark lacks some of the bells and whistles of its pricier stablemates – though not as many as you’d expect. Standard features include the usual suspects, such as air conditioning, power windows and locks, and 4-speaker AM/FM stereo. Chevy also equips every Spark with 10 airbags, ABS, and traction control, along with hill start assist and a tire pressure monitoring system.
Sweetening the deal are 15-inch 5-split spoke alloy wheels, a small rear spoiler, and choice of six no-cost paint options that include colors like Salsa red, Jalapeno green and Techno pink. Hidden rear door handles – cleverly located in the C-pillar – give the Spark a coupe-like profile and are similar in design to the ones used in the larger Chevy Sonic hatchback.

2013 Chevrolet Spark

The Spark stretches 144.7 inches in total length, making it 5 inches longer than a Fiat 500 but more than a 15 inches shorter than a Ford Fiesta hatchback. While cars like the Fiat might ultimately squeeze into a smaller parking spot, the Spark easily wins when it comes to rear seat comfort. The Spark’s rear seat is usable by two full-sized adults and the Chevy’s extra pair of doors makes accessing them much easier, especially compared to two-door rivals like the Fiat 500 and Mini Cooper. [Don’t even get me started on the bizarre and claustrophobic 3+1 rear seating arrangement used in the Scion iQ.]
With the Spark’s split-folding rear seat in place, there’s a useful 11.4 cu. ft. of cargo room. That’s enough room for running errands or packing for a weekend getaway, though you might have to leave the kayak and jet ski at home.

2013 Chevrolet Spark

You Want Smooth Roads?
If Chevrolet has anything to hide in terms of the Spark’s ride and handling, the bumpy and pothole-infested roads of New York City are going to expose any flaw. Powering the front-wheel-drive Spark is a 1.25-liter inline-4 that delivers 84 bhp and 83 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,200 rpm. Unless you’re driving on ice and happen to be traveling downhill, there’s no worry about overpowering the Spark with the available horsepower. Compared to the previous version, which has been on sale globally since 2009, the Spark’s engine capacity has been increased by 4-percent for improved mid-range torque. It’s no firecracker, but the engine felt sufficient in stop-and-go traffic and during short blasts along the notoriously chaotic Brooklyn-Queens Expressway.
A 5-speed manual and 4-speed automatic transmission are available across all trim levels: base LS, 1LT and 2LT. Chevrolet expects approximately 30-percent of buyers will choose to shift for themselves – a relatively high figure considering the American preference for automatics. That might be due to the manual’s edge in fuel economy, which is estimated at 32/38-mpg city/highway versus the 28/37-mpg averages offered with the automatic. The manual gearbox is light and easy to use, and definitely the best bet for anyone on a strict budget.

2013 Chevrolet Spark

Chevrolet tunes the Spark’s front Macpherson struts and rear compound crank suspension for each market, though I figured the 93.5-inch wheelbase would be overwhelmed no matter what Chevy’s engineers had finagled for the U.S. version. Instead, the Spark remained remarkably composed and quiet over some of the worst roads New York has to offer. In some applications, electric power steering can be something of a mixed bag, it helps increase efficiency but the feedback is overly artificial. Yet the system fitted in the Spark offered a nice blend of feel and accuracy.
The High Rent District
Moving from the base LS to range-topping 2LT covers a pricing span of only about $3,000. That’s not bad considering how pricey the Sparks’ rivals become when loaded with options. Included in the $16,200 asking price for the Spark 2LT is Chevrolet’s MyLink 7-inch wide touch-screen radio with Sirius/XM capability and USB port, cruise control, steering wheel-mounted audio controls, machined-face alloy wheels, and sportier front and rear fasciae with a chrome exhaust outlet poking out the rear bumper. You don’t need to shovel on the extras but, if you do, it’s nice knowing the Spark won’t magically jump up a price category or two.

2013 Chevrolet Spark

Compared to the outgoing Aveo, the Spark is vastly more entertaining and vivacious – though you could say the same for just about anything with four wheels. The faint praise isn’t intentional, it’s simply hard getting used to the idea of such a capable mini car wearing a Chevy badge. From the steering feel and body control, to the splash of body-colored plastic on the dashboard and those swept-back headlights, the Spark is stylish and a solid bargain. Performance is modest though, let’s be clear, in this segment the Spark more than holds its own. An electric-powered variant goes on sale next year and, according to our moles, a more powerful (i.e. turbocharged) Spark RS-badged model could also be added to the range.
Who would have expected that Chevy’s new mini-car is no laughing matter? ~> On `No

<!-- right column --><!-- at a glance --><!-- /at a glance --><!-- car make:Chevrolet Car Buying Guide- RoadandTrack.com has Chevrolet Car Buying Tools \nmake state: published \ncar model:Chevrolet Spark Car Buying Guide- Get a Quote on the Chevrolet Spark at RoadandTrack.com- Car Buying \nmodel state: published \nshowlink model: \nrelated_items count: 5-->TOP COMPETITORSChevrolet Spark »

» Overview<!-- » User Ratings -->» Photos & 360° View» Specs» Prices w/Options<!-- » Get Quote -->
More

<TABLE border=0 width=186><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>Spy Shots
2012 Chevrolet Spark >>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- /rt-col -->
<!-- tags, pager -->Pages: 1 Photos

Last edited by Space; 08-25-2012 at 07:08 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:55 AM

mmh, I might get one to put in2 the back of
my Ford Edge in case I run outa `gas LOL
Mike, what's your MPG's in your New SRT8 ? You might wanta get
a Spark 4 a go-for toy (LOL) I think it might fit inside your `Edge (lol)

Attached Thumbnails &gt; Add a `Spark 2 your Life (a Chevy `Spark) this is not laugh'in matter &lt;-mike-jg.jpg  

Last edited by Space; 08-25-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:58 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

ZZP has a Spark that they are doing R&D on

Old 08-25-2012, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
ZZP has a Spark that they are doing R&D on
Hi Mod `Mike,
I hope that we get more infor from ZZP on their Research & Development of the `Spark that they have ?

With the price of fuel going `up again it might just sell.
I'd test drive one for a year `if they gave me one to test.
I sure would not want to get hit by a big truck in one

Look forward to see what our members post about it & if they would trade their Monte 4 one Maybe ? No Way Yes

Old 08-26-2012, 05:33 PM

WoW this thread & poll went down the MCF toilet
I guess no one wants a `Spark in their life...
I hope Chevy gets more attention then this thread lol
Just bump'in it to fill in more empty space on the MCF

Would you admit it `if you liked a `Spark or if U had one

Last edited by Space; 08-27-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:27 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

I dont see a need for it when they got the Sonic? Why have 2 mini cars? & i avg 19 in my SRT & i get to ride in comfort & style but the 93 octaine is kickin my butt

Old 08-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

too small for me... i like my roominess

Old 08-27-2012, 08:24 AM

Not for me....