Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

2014 Chevrolet Corvette - Spy Shots

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 08:37 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Arrow 2014 Chevrolet Corvette - Spy Shots

Caught Testing: 2014 Chevrolet Corvette - Spy Shots

More details emerge about C7 Corvette.

By Nick Kurczewski / Photos by KGP Photography
September 28, 2011

Slideshow >>
Slideshow >><!-- future-cars/spy-photos/gallery -->
Member's above "Best Spy Shots" has over 334 pictures to check out...Click above Slideshow to view

<!--/photos-video-wrapper-->
<!-- /Main photo wrapper --><!-- test output end: --><!-- the article, at a glance, downloads, top competitors, from buying guide --><!-- left column -->The 2014 Chevrolet Corvette has been spotted on public roads, rolling in a small convoy of coupe and convertible test mules. At first glance, these might appear like mildly reworked versions of the current (C6) generation Vette. But more and more details are emerging about Chevrolet’s top performance model, and some fairly major changes look to be coming to the next generation.

For starters, a 7-speed manual transmission will be offered for the first time. This should allow Corvette engineers to shorten the lower gear ratios for quicker acceleration, while also improving highway fuel economy thanks to the extra cog. The current Corvette already manages a respectable 26 mpg during highway driving. Don’t be surprised if the C7 engineering team is gunning for 30 mpg, or more.
Fact and Fiction
A more advanced range of V-8 engines, featuring direct injection and slightly reduced displacement, will maintain sports car levels of performance while helping to boost fuel efficiency. We wouldn’t count on Chevy offering any electric powertrains or hybrid hardware in the Corvette, at least for now. However, there might be some surprises when the car debuts in late 2013 (as a 2014 model).

The coupe test mule, spotted by our photographers, has a centrally mounted quad exhaust setup peeking out from beneath the car’s rear fascia. In the convertible test cars, all four of these pipes are open. Yet the coupe is sporting some curious-looking caps on the outer pipes. Is this simple trickery on the part of the engineering team, or is something more going on here?
The rumor mill is already swirling with talk of everything from a smaller turbocharged V-8 to an optional split rear window—like the one used on the 1963 Sting Ray. One item that is certain to receive a major improvement is the Corvette cabin, which has long lagged behind the competition in terms of fit and finish. The C7’s longer wheelbase could also free up additional space for occupants and cargo.

===========================================
Member's, what do you think ? ?
It's sure not a new radial DeSign 4-Sure...
Share your thoughts `OK

Last edited by Space; 10-02-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:47 AM

Bonus: A `Space Dream Ride
2013 Lamborghini Sesto Elemento - First Look

Lamborghini confirms lightweight exotic for production.

By Nick Kurczewski
September 28, 2011
<!-- main image hidden --><!-- test output end: --><!-- the article, at a glance, downloads, top competitors, from buying guide --><!-- left column -->
It looks like something from Outer`Space , but I like it
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lamborghini has announced it will build 20 production models of the Sesto Elemento, a bantamweight concept car shown last year during the Paris Auto Show. The car weighs only 2200 lb., thanks to the extensive use of carbon fiber in its construction. A 570-bhp 5.2-liter V-10 engine, mounted behind the passenger compartment, provides power (and lots of it). To put this into perspective, the Sesto Elemento weighs about 400 lb. less than a Mini Cooper S, but has more than three times its horsepower! It’s a pity that Lamborghini says the production version of the Sesto Elemento is intended for “track use” only.
Less is More
Lamborghini President and CEO, Stephan Winkelmann, has stressed the important role lightweight materials will play in the company’s future lineup. The Sesto Elemento has taken this ethos to the extreme, by employing carbon fiber in every aspect of the car’s construction. The seats are formed directly into the carbon-fiber tub, with thin cushions and high-tech fabrics attached directly to the monocoque. To get comfortable, the driver adjusts the position of the steering wheel and pedals to the fixed seating position. Instruments, dials, and cabin trim have been kept to an absolute minimum.
The Sesto Elemento has a stellar weight-to-power ratio of 3.85 lb. per horsepower. The 2012 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1—which has 638 bhp and a top speed of 205 mph—seems positively porky in comparison, carrying 5.2 lb. per bhp. However, remember that the Vette can be driven on public roads, whereas the Sesto Elemento is limited to showing off its tire-smoking heroics solely on racetracks.
Lamborghini estimates the Sesto Elemento can sprint from zero to 62 mph in only 2.5 seconds. In terms of raw acceleration, this places the Lambo in some extremely exclusive company. In our recent test of the fastest-accelerating supercars (Road & Track, December 2011) the Sesto Elemento would leave the Nissan GT-R and Porsche 911 Turbo S eating its dust. Only the almighty Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Super Sport—which starts at a cool $2.6 million—could give this little Lamborghini a run for its money.
And money you will need. The Sesto Elemento, when in goes sale in early 2013, is expected to cost in excess of $2 million.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:21 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member

I would rather have the Vette.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:36 AM

To: Mel
Subject: Cyber Gift from Santa in 2014

Old 10-02-2011, 09:44 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's definitely not a radical change. I think most people watching you drive by wouldn't notice a difference. But does the Vette really need a drastic design change at this point? Probably not.

But what it does need is an image change. Not sure about other areas, but around here the Corvette has a "mid-life crisis car" image. I like the power of the Corvette. But because of the price, most of the 'vette owners around here are white men roughly 40-60 years old. And they tend to get laughed at by many people; including women. So on that point, I think GM needs to make the 'vette more affordable. Especially with today's economy. With today's economy, I could see GM pricing the 'vette out of existence. They need to make it a bit more affordable, to get it in the hands of younger buyers.

But I love me a nice Corvette. Always wanted one. The new 7 speed? I don't know. I suppose it depends on where the shift points are. I don't want to have to be shifting like crazy in city traffic.

Since I can't afford either one, I'll go with the Lambo. There's less of them around.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:52 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

New corvette looks pretty similar i would love to have a ZR1. What i dont like is that i read somewhere that it would have a much smaller engine like around maybe 3 liters and it would just be supercharged like european cars. I think that would take the american muscle from the american muscle car.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:17 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

i will take the lambo Space. Looks pretty cool

Old 10-02-2011, 10:24 AM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member

I agree with Taz 100%. At $80,000 for a Top of the line Vette. Not many can buy one. My opinion !! The last good loking Vette was the 67 Stingray. Since then nothing to look at. They just look like a wedge going down the rd. Yeah I'd like to have that Motor in my Chevelle. But that's It. The car doesn't impress me a bit. NO STYLE ! yeah their fast. But thats it. Some old guy that has Big Bucks. woooo I'm impressed. NOT !

Old 10-02-2011, 10:26 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
i will take the lambo Space. Looks pretty cool
I like the different look of that 2013 Lambo too. Very cool design.

Nice find Space. I know you're a 'vette fan, Space. But I just like the radical look of that 2013 Lambo better in this case.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Taz
I like the different look of that 2013 Lambo too. Very cool design.

Nice find Space. I know you're a 'vette fan, Space. But I just like the radical look of that 2013 Lambo better in this case.

Thanks `Lou,

I do dream of cars a lot, and also love searching for them. It's helps pass the time at the end of my night shift as I have to wait for order confirmations... Tonight, or 2days been a super long shift 4-Sure...
I do love the newDeSign of the Lambo, but still love the Corvettes... Maybe someday ? Until then I shall keep working on my dreams...Wish everyOne Happy Dreams & a Happy `Life...Peace/Out from `Space

Attached Thumbnails 2014 Chevrolet Corvette - Spy Shots-spacekiddream.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2014 Chevrolet Corvette - Spy Shots