Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

1/2 Mile Racing Vids in the Vette

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 11:17 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Okay good to know. You running drag radials all the time? I bought some more a couple years back, had them heat cycled, mounted on my spare wheels and have never had hem on my Monte yet... Never have made it back to the drag strip in all this time. Pretty hard on the cars drive train.

Yes. I made the switch when I added the rear widebody and it is so worth it! Before on the stock run flat 285s it was borderline dangerous at this power level. It would spin at ANY speed in 1st or 2nd and also a bit into 3rd coming off WOT 2nd.

There are a couple of downsides:
-Driving in rain is horrific. We don't get hardly any rain in PHX but I've been caught in it a few times by accident. Seems like 40-45 mph is about it even with "full" tread depth. It is super sketchy though.
-Handling is reduced. It's not dangerous by any means, but it does seem a little worse than stock and nowhere near a performance all around tire like a r888, a7 or something.
-Mileage is reduced a lot. These are 00 treadwear, but I hear the MTs are worse. Some people get 10k out of these. I bet I'll get 7500+. I only drive it once or twice a week to work and go cruising on the weekends so I'm not real worried about it. Going through 1 pair of tires a year is fine with me.

I know what you mean about being hard on the powertrain. I'm nowhere near as concerned on the vette as its so much more stout than a 4t65. But I also don't thrash on it either. I very rarely go from a dig, I almost never do burnouts, etc. I know it's not going to last 200k miles, but I'll do a built trans and a trans brace when it does blow.

I'll definitely be swapping to drag radials on the monte once I burn it's current tires off though!

That would be an experience for sure, it would probably be a highlight, all your years turning wrenches and such, and go where very few have or will ever go. Is Texas the only place with a mile track? Hear there is some annual event there where people from all over bring their cars here to get crazy fast
Not sure. I have heard of Texas mile. Also heard of a spot in California. Unfortunately they're not as popular as the 1/2 mile stuff.

You would hope people adding aerodynamic aftermarket body parts will be understanding of the massive wind shear forces at play and would really fit them well to the car. Like you stated, things do come offI can see how oil would wreck havoc on the track. UGH, long wait time for sure.

You would sure think so, but it's surprising how many people don't understand. I've even seen it on the vette forums. People will do a big front splitter but won't reinforce the front end, so the nose is dragging the ground at 150+. I've seen people double side tape zr1 spoilers on becuase they don't want to drill the bumper, etc. Pretty crazy.

Wow, nice it would be in the same ball park as your Vette and just a bit slower. So you not think your 3rd gear would top out on a 1/2 mile track. Im thinking mine 3rd would max on a 1/4 mile track, or am I wrong?

​​​​​I honestly don't know what 3rd goes up to, but I think it's very high. In my grand prix it traps 100 in the 1/4 (stockish ls4 at 14.0 et) and that's right under the limiter for 2nd.

I plugged the data into an online calculator and it said 61, 114, 178 for 1st 2nd and 3rd gear with a 2.93 equivalent "rear end" ratio and a 27" tall tire at 6500 rpm.

Not sure how accurate that is, but my monte will never have the power with this setup for 175+ in the half. I bet that's easily 850+ whp in a car like this and that's way beyond what this blower can do by an easy 200 whp. The power requirements just skyrocket the closer you get to 200+ due to the drag.

It is certainly possible you could have a setup that would max out in the 1/4 instead. Plugging in a 3.69 gear set with a 26" tall tire and a 6000 rpm limit would put it at 43, 81, 126 mph. 126 mph is a very very low 11 / high 10 second quarter speed in these cars so it's very possible to have that circumstance (granted most cars running that fast are probably shifting higher than 6000).

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 03-20-2017 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:12 AM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The ctsv owner from the first run posted a couple of videos. Looks like it is a 2012 with stage 1. Supposed to be 640 crank hp. Looks like they were doing low 130s all day with one run up to 140 taking off from the back.

Being able to see the run from that angle, I'll have to revise my original description that I beat him by busses- I think I could've fit an amtrak train in there by the time I hit the 1/2.

skip to 6:40 (in ctsv view)

Skip to 3:00 (outside view)
​​​​​

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 03-25-2017 at 10:47 PM.