Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

06 Eclipse G.T. vs Monte Carlo S.S. ?

Old 07-24-2009, 04:56 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question 06 Eclipse G.T. vs Monte Carlo S.S. ?

(Web Photo)
BeachBum `Mike, just purchased a 06 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
with 25K miles for $10K
It's SuperSuper Clean with a 3.8L V-6 & six speed Trans.
Mods: Header's/Manaflow Exhaust & CAI
Time Slips from Orlando Drags
1/4 mile in the consistant high thirteens (13.6 sec best)
@ 105.2 MPH : )

Motor Trend
2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT V6
Vehicle layoutFront engine, FWD, 2-door, 2+2-pass coupeEngine 3.8L/263 hp/260 lb-ft SOHC 24-valve V-6

Transmission6-speed manual

Curb weight, f/r dist3538 lb, 61/39%

Wheelbase 101.4 in
Length x Width x Height179.7 x 72.2 x 53.8 in
0-60 mph 5.9 sec
1/4 mile14.2 sec @ 100.9 mph
Braking, 60-0 mph116 ft
Lateral acceleration0.79 g avg
600-foot slalom 65.7 mph avg
Lateral acceleration 0.84 g avg
MT Figure eight 27.1 sec @ 0.64 g avg
EPA city/hwy fuel econ18 / 27 mpg
What's Hot
More Comfortably Sized And Smoother Riding;
Potent Performer At All Speeds; Pre-Engineered For Spyder Version

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____

2006 Monte Carlo SS
Road Test by MotorWeek

ENGINE: 5.3-liter V8
HORSEPOWER: 303
TORQUE: 323 lb feet
0-60 mph: 6.0 seconds
60-0 mph: 138 feet
1/4 Mile: 14.5 seconds @ 101 mph
EPA: 18 mpg city/28 mpg highway

__________________________________________________ _____

There is alot of torque steer under hard throttle, but U just got
2 hang on2 the wheel : )
I wish the Monte Carlo had the option for a six speed
like the Eclipse.

The Back seat is just 4 Show : ) no room

( The Rockford System is Super)
It is faster then my 06 LT3 with 3.9L , and it
weights as much as a Monte Carlo ? I didn't think
the Eclipse was that heavy.
I think Bum `Mike got a great deal, & he thought I would
be upset that he didn't get a `Monte. I'm not &
Super Happy 4 him 4-Sure.
I think it would run with the SuperCharged 3.8 L , and even
run with the 5.3L SS ? What do you think ?
Has any Member ever driven/Raced a 4th Gen Eclipse GT ?
Post your thoughts, thanks
Would it be a good race ? CLose Race ?

Attached Thumbnails 06 Eclipse G.T. vs Monte Carlo S.S. ?-112_0507_07z-2006_mitsubishi_eclipse_gt-engine_view.jpg   06 Eclipse G.T. vs Monte Carlo S.S. ?-112_0507_12z-2006_mitsubishi_eclipse_gt-interior_view_front_cabin.jpg   06 Eclipse G.T. vs Monte Carlo S.S. ?-mitsubishi-eclipse_gs_2007_800x600_wallpaper_04.jpg   06 Eclipse G.T. vs Monte Carlo S.S. ?-16.jpg  

Last edited by Space; 07-24-2009 at 07:24 AM.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:07 AM

2006 Mitsubishi Eclispe GT

2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse
MSN Video 3:11

Mitsubishi Eclipse running 6.94 1/4…
YouTube 2:30

Last edited by Space; 07-24-2009 at 05:36 AM.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:18 AM

Chevrolet Monte Carlo Supercharged SS - Short Take Road Test

Not exactly the one Little E. drives.

BY RON KIINO, PHOTOGRAPHY BY DANIEL V. WINTER
June 2004

Pages: 1 2

News & Reviews

Jeff Gordon drives one. So do Tony Stewart and Jimmie Johnson. Heck, even Dale Earnhardt Jr. slaps his No. 8 on one. We're talking about the Chevy Monte Carlo—specifically, the NASCAR race car, Little E.'s winning ride at this year's Daytona 500, not to mention the most victorious nameplate in NASCAR history. With accolades like that, there's no arguing the M.C.'s racing success.
The street version of this famous namesake, however, hasn't received the same fanfare lately. The old practice of "race on Sunday, sell on Monday" was worth exactly 66,976 new-car sales of the Monte Carlo to Chevy in 2003. That's a far cry from the success Ford has run up with its NASCAR nameplate—the Taurus found 300,496 takers—and almost 10,000 shy of Dodge's stock-car-inspired sedan, the Intrepid, at 76,473. And let's not forget the Monte's corporate sibling and NASCAR foe, the Pontiac Grand Prix, which sold 125,441 units.
Perhaps the Monte Carlo's biggest problem in '03 was that in standard SS form it topped out at 200 horsepower. Channeled through a four-speed automatic transmission, that oomph was anything but NASCAR-like. For 2004, Chevy is offering a spiced-up M.C. that it hopes can build some excitement (sorry, Pontiac) and boost those fourth-place sales.
That Carlo caliente is the Supercharged SS you see on this page. How do we know it's supercharged? Well, it says so—in huge script on the rear quarter-panels, and also on the dash and on the kick plates. So conspicuous are the labels that staffers began querying sarcastically, "Are you sure that's supercharged?" Chevy made other less-obvious modifications, adding a decklid spoiler, fog lamps, dual stainless-steel exhaust tips, and 17-inch diamond-cut wheels shod with Goodyear Eagles. The Supercharged SS looks sportier than its tamer siblings, but it's still not especially handsome to our eyes.
Underneath, the changes are more significant. The ride height has been lowered almost half an inch, the spring rates are said to be stiffer at all four corners, and the anti-roll bars are larger front and rear. Obviously, the biggest upgrade is what lurks under the hood—a supercharged version of GM's 3800 Series II pushrod V-6, which makes 240 horsepower at 5200 rpm and 280 pound-feet of torque at 3600 and is paired with a beefier four-speed auto. Compared with the standard SS, that's an upgrade of 40 horsepower and 55 pound-feet.
At the track, the Monte's newfound power and chassis enhancements were evident. We ripped off 0 to 60 mph in 6.5 seconds and the quarter-mile in 15.1 at 93 mph, 2.1 and 1.5 seconds quicker, respectively, than the numbers put up by a standard SS ("Low-Impact Sports," September 2002). Moreover, the Supercharged SS's wider, lower-profile tires (235/55R-17s versus 225/60R-16s) and tauter suspension held on for 0.83 g at the skidpad, a sizable improvement over the SS's 0.79. Ride quality has diminished slightly compared with the SS's conservatively tuned suppleness, but it's a welcome trade-off. And Chevy's engineers have done a commendable job of quelling the torque-steer issue. Braking was vastly better, too—70 mph to a standstill came in 186 feet, 20 feet shorter—and pedal feel was linear and easy to modulate.
There are more pros to pile on this blown Monte Carlo. The structure is about as shaky as Gibraltar, the fit and finish is respectable, and the interior is roomy and comfortable, especially in the back seat.
Of course, with pros come cons. The supercharged Monte still delivers a numb steering sensation that Led Zeppelin would describe as a communication breakdown. It feels overassisted and lacks precise, direct feedback to the driver. The ebony interior is just that—dark, cold, monotonous—and the quality of the plastics seems low-rent. Then there are the matters of poundage and price. The Supercharged SS weighs 3530 pounds and has a $27,895 base price. Compared with a $26,990 Honda Accord Coupe EX V-6 (September 2003) with a six-speed manual and a $23,460 Toyota Camry Solara SE Sport V-6 (October 2003), the Chevy puts the biggest dent in the pavement and your pocketbook. Not helping the Monte's case are the Accord's acceleration times, which are all quicker, or the Solara's Lexus-like cockpit, which, in light (we wish) of the Monte Carlo's second-rate interior, is like comparing Hugo Boss with Boss Hogg.
That said, this latest street iteration of Chevy's famed racing coupe does offer up performance that far surpasses that of the standard SS, a car that tested at $24,575. For an additional $3320, that's a serious bump in the bang-for-the-buck department. Plus, with all that torque on tap, the Supercharged SS easily chirps its front tires—which may be all that's needed to boost sales and the passion among Chevy's NASCAR faithful.Continued...

Old 07-24-2009, 08:08 AM

Gratz for him, I'm still stuck on will the 5.3 fit in my 03 monte ss and will my wife let me do it.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:13 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Are the GTs really that much faster?

Because I totally smoked a GS not too long ago haha. I'm glad to know that if there is a GT on the car, it really does have a difference.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:15 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

Congrats Mike on your new to you Mitsu.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep
Are the GTs really that much faster?
Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep

Because I totally smoked a GS not too long ago haha. I'm glad to know that if there is a GT on the car, it really does have a difference.

Hi `Mike, the G.S. Model has a 2.4L 4 Banger.
If U ever see a GT on a used car lot you should take it
for a test drive. It's amaz'in what Mitsubishi did with
their 3.8L V6, especially with the 6 speed standard shift.
Lots of torque steer, but I was surprised how quick
they are. It's a fun car, but not much room for more
then 2 people : (
His has been well maintained & only jumped on hard
@ the track, but he has the remainder of a 5 yr
60K warranty : )...The former owner is someone we
know that works up @ the Space Center & is a Car Nut.
He got a new 370Z : ) He said I could test drive it : ), but
I'm still waiting for one of the owners of the company I work for 2 get his new ZR1 : )
I still dream about that one
4-Sure...I still like the Monte more then the Eclipse,
but they are a decent ride, and the price was right
for Bum `Mike,,,,his 1st Car : ) WoW....Now, I can
get the BeachBum van back : ) & search 4 my Monte : )
Thanks everyone for your input/posts
Wish U & readers a great day/weekend...
EnJoy

Old 07-24-2009, 09:22 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Ahh a 4-banger, that explains it all! thanks space :P

Old 07-24-2009, 10:29 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

to tell the truth, i have always been very impressed with bitsumeshi products, ever scince my dad had his 87 starion. not only comfey, with a leather interior, and seats that could rival recaros with a lumbar adjustmant, but innovative ( there was a ton of electronic goodies on that car that did not appear in most cars till after the milenium...) plus it was RWD.
the car looked way cool, plus it was FAST!!! never got dragstrip times, but we did walk a 5.0 fox- body on rt. 80, and the mitsu had its bone stock 4 banger w/ puny turbo, and the factory 5 speed stick. a pic of the car, mitsufecies first preformance model:

Old 07-24-2009, 11:22 AM

Hi `Ryan,
I really like the Starion...One of the Senior Citizens son
had one when I was about 10-11 & he took me 4 a ride,
& he sarced the _____outa me...Skid marks 4 Sure
lol...It was fast, or it sure felt that way...
They still look great today & it was quality built.
I remeber the bum's & I detailed it for him.
He nows is a Doc, and drives a Porche : )
Here's the closest pic I could find of `it, or what it was like : )

I like the AWD Turbo Mitsubishi...They kick Butt & so do the Evo's...., but they are all high rev'er's : )
Thanks 4 posting/sharing...To bad U dad didn't keep that one. PEace/Out/`Space

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 06 Eclipse G.T. vs Monte Carlo S.S. ?