Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

= = $ Cost of Owning-Driving $ = =

Old 08-15-2012, 08:27 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question = = $ Cost of Owning-Driving $ = =

Hi Member's with the price of `gas increasing again I
have to revise my companies fleet cost of operation.
Plus, our insurance has increased again this year &
so has maintenance costs + + + +.

Below is a informative article on this subject.
What do you think your total cost is to drive one mile ?

Please post your thoughts ?
What does it cost you to own & drive your Monte Carlo ?

=========================================
AAA study finds driving costs get increased

<!--/template[storyWell_inside_body]--><!--container source: name[] layout[story] filePath[/money/_common/layouts/story.xml]--><!--template[storyWell_inside_body] filePath[/money/_common/templates/story/storyWell_inside_body.xml]-->By Larry Copeland, USA TODAY

<!--/template[storyWell_inside_body]--><!--container source: name[] layout[story] filePath[/money/_common/layouts/story.xml]--><!--template[storyWell_inside_timestamp] filePath[/money/_common/templates/story/storyWell_inside_timestamp.xml]-->Updated 7/26/2012
  • <!--/template[storyWell_inside_body]--><!--container source: name[] layout[story] filePath[/money/_common/layouts/story.xml]--><!--template[storyWell_inside_body] filePath[/money/_common/templates/story/storyWell_inside_body.xml]--><!--========= HEADER ======= -->There's bad news and good news for economically battered drivers in auto club AAA's annual report on the cost of owning and operating a vehicle.
  • By Gene J. Puskar, AP

• Gas prices are posted in Breezewood, Pa., on, April 9. The largest percentage increase of vehicle ownership costs from 2011 to 2012 was the cost of fuel, according to AAA.
By Gene J. Puskar, AP

Gas prices are posted in Breezewood, Pa., on, April 9. The largest percentage increase of vehicle ownership costs from 2011 to 2012 was the cost of fuel, according to AAA.

<MORE>There were sharp increases in the last year in the costs of things such as gasoline and tires. But cars retained much more of their value because Americans held on to their vehicles, increasing the value of used cars.

Overall, the annual average costs to own and operate a sedan in the USA, based on 15,000 miles of driving, rose 1.9%, according to AAA's 2012 "Your Driving Costs" study. The average costs rose 1.1 cents per mile to 59.6 cents per mile, or $8,946 per year.

AAA, which has published the driving costs study since 1950, was surprised that the overall increase in owning and operating an automobile wasn't higher, said Michael Calkins, the auto club's manager of approved auto repair.

"We knew the gas prices had increased from the prior year's study," Calkins said. "What we didn't see coming was that used cars would retain so much of their value. What a lot of people don't think about is that depreciation is the biggest single cost of owning a vehicle."

<NOTCH><WEB-FRAGMENT><!-- line: 6 -->
^ I can't afford that ^

</WEB-FRAGMENT></NOTCH>Calkins said "there's a real shortage of good, quality used cars on the market right now. "Usually, there's a good fleet of 2- to 3-year-old cars. Now, because people didn't buy new cars, they're harder to find. Even 3- and 4-year-old cars are retaining more of their value. If your car was worth $15,000 last year, there's a good chance it's worth $15,000 this year."

That scenario is likely to change soon, though. "Within the next 24 months, we're going to see the residual values start to change," Calkins said. "New car sales have been ramping up over the past nine months or so."

Last year, AAA reported that vehicle ownership costs rose 3.4% over 2010. AAA's annual study is based on purchasing a new vehicle and owning it for five years.

The largest percentage increase from 2011 to 2012 was the cost of fuel, which rose 14.8% to 14.2 cents per mile for sedan owners. Tire costs rose 4.2% because of higher costs for natural rubber and the increased cost of oil used in tire production and shipping, AAA said.

Average insurance costs for sedans — based on a low-risk driver with a clean driving record — rose 3.4% (or $33) to $1,001 annually; maintenance costs showed an increase of 0.7%.

Depreciation costs dropped by 4.9%.

According to AAA, the cost of owning and operating a vehicle breaks down like this: depreciation: 39.6%; gasoline: 23.7%; insurance: 11.2%; finance charges: 9.5%; maintenance: 7.5%; tax, license, registration: 6.8%, and tires: 1.7%.
================================================== =======
p.s. I believe the majority of Chevy Monte Carlo's have already lost their biggest hit on deprecitations..(Since the last Monte was built in June 2007)
And I believe that most Monte Carlo's worth ($) will be determined by their miles & condition of the car...`Space

I think `if a member has a Monte in Good or Excellent Condition, they should never trade it in, but sell it privately to get the Max $'s from their investment...Your opinions please...Thanks
"I don't have money 2 burn, do you ?"

ps. Why give the dealer the profit ?
Now, if your Monte is super high miles & has many problems ...Then maybe consider trading ?

Last edited by Space; 08-15-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:51 PM

It would be hard for me to get my money back out of my Monte so I plan to keep it and enjoy!!

Old 08-15-2012, 09:30 PM

I spend nowhere near 75 cents a mile 20k miles only used 900ish gallons of gas

Old 08-16-2012, 08:07 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm hating this cost of gas going up. We just had it in the mid $3s

Old 08-16-2012, 08:08 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I agree, and we're pushing close to $4 a gallon again here Time to get mpg consious again

Old 08-16-2012, 08:31 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mr Grizzly Mint
I spend nowhere near 75 cents a mile 20k miles only used 900ish gallons of gas

Hi `Grizz, the formula they are using to reach the cost per mile is According to AAA, the cost of owning and operating a vehicle breaks down like this: depreciation: 39.6%; gasoline: 23.7%; insurance: 11.2%; finance charges: 9.5%; maintenance: 7.5%; tax, license, registration: 6.8%, and tires: 1.7%.

It's just not the cost of fuel in determining the cost of auto ownership 4-Sure...

Yes, the increase of the cost of fuel (gas) is killing my company cost projections 4-Sure... It's killing my end of year bonus for saving company $'s

There's just 2 much GREED in our country, our World

Old 08-16-2012, 08:37 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
I agree, and we're pushing close to $4 a gallon again here Time to get mpg consious again
Down here premium is over $4 again

Old 08-16-2012, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Down here premium is over $4 again
I think it's about $3.80 here. I never really cared about MPGs, I almost get annoyed when all these people see my KIA and ask "What kind of mileage you get with that?" I've always been raised that when the car's empty you fill it up, and not drive all over town to save 5-6 cents a gallon.

"That's the joys of driving - live with it or walk" is what my dad always used to tell me