Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

`Tasmanian Devils

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 04:53 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Unhappy `Tasmanian Devils

New Year Update about `TAZ
It's just amaz'in what you can learn on the Monte Carlo Family Forum Oh `no

Scientists find clue to killer of Tasmanian devils

AP – This undated handout file photo from Tasmania's Department of Primary Industries, shows a healthy Tasmanian …

By LAURAN NEERGAARD, AP Medical Writer Lauran Neergaard, Ap Medical Writer – Thu Dec 31, 8:29 pm ET
WASHINGTON – Fierce as they are, Tasmanian devils can't beat a contagious cancer that threatens to wipe them out. Now scientists think they've found the disease's origin, a step in the race to save Australia's snarling marsupial.
The furry black animals spread a fast-killing cancer when they bite each other's faces. Since the disease's discovery in 1996, their numbers have plummeted by 70 percent. Last spring, Australia listed the devils — made famous by their Looney Tunes cartoon namesake Taz — as an endangered species.
There's no treatment, and little hope of finding one until scientists better understand what's fueling this bizarre "devil facial tumor disease." So an international research team picked apart the cancer's genes, and discovered that it apparently first arose in cells that protect the animals' nerves.
The surprise finding, reported in Friday's edition of the journal Science, has led to development of a test to help diagnose this tumor.
Next, scientists are hunting the mutations that turned these cells rogue, work they hope could one day lead to a vaccine to protect remaining Tasmanian devils, or perhaps treatments.
"The clock's ticking," lead researcher Elizabeth Murchison of the Australian National University said by phone from Tasmania. "It's awful to think there could be no devils here in 50 years because they're dying so quickly."
The devils, known for powerful jaws, fierce screeches and voracious consumption of prey, are the world's largest marsupial carnivores. They don't exist in the wild outside Tasmania, an island south of Australia.
What triggered this cancer, which causes tumors that grow so large on the face and neck that the animals eventually can't eat?
It didn't jump from another species, said Murchison. Tasmanian devils, for unknown reasons, are prone to various types of cancer. This tumor's genetic signature suggests that probably no more than 20 years ago, mutations built up in some animals' Schwann cells — cells that produce the insulation, called myelin, crucial for nerves — until the first devil fell ill with this new type.
Those mutations went far beyond a typical cancer. When one sick animal bites another, it transplants living cancer cells that form a copy of the first animal's tumor. Murchison's team tested 25 tumors gathered from devils in different parts of Tasmania, and found the tumors were essentially identical to one another.
It's one of only two forms of cancer known to spread this way, Murchison said; the other is a sexually transmitted cancer in dogs. (That's quite different than people's transmission of a few cancer-causing viruses, such as the human papillomavirus that causes cervical cancer.)
The researchers created a diagnostic test, based in part on a myelin-related protein called periaxin that was present in all the facial tumors but not in other cancers.
Also, the team compiled a catalog of Tasmanian devil genetic information. Among the next goals is to determine which of those genes most influence the spread and severity of this cancer.

Last edited by Space; 01-01-2010 at 05:00 AM.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:55 AM
Talking

Belated Happy Holidays
from
`Taz

Now that was Smok'in lol
4-Sure

Old 01-01-2010, 07:54 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

Little know fact: The largest population of Tazmanian Devels outside of Australia is actually here in North America, centered in Windsor, Canada!!!

LOL!

Old 01-01-2010, 08:11 AM

...LOL`Mod `Wayne, I learn something new everytime I visit my
Monte Carlo Family Wish U & Lady T a Super 2010 ForSure : ) Have U been 2 the Taz Center in Windsor ?
I see that `Lou has his own Taz Poster : ) LOL

Attached Thumbnails `Tasmanian Devils-%60loutaz.jpg  
Old 01-01-2010, 09:14 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I suppose you say that because Taz lives in Windsor, right!?!?!?

Old 01-01-2010, 10:10 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

Originally Posted by Cowboy6622
I suppose you say that because Taz lives in Windsor, right!?!?!?
YUP!!

JK about the Taz' population! Just tryin' to give our "Fearless Leader" a hard time on this New Years day!

Happy New Years Day Lou!
Wayne n LadyT

Old 01-01-2010, 11:16 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

I think Lou will be safe as long as he doesn't get bit on the nose. LOL

Old 01-01-2010, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by JJsRYD
I think Lou will be safe as long as he doesn't get bit on the nose. LOL

LOL ~ LOL
Don't stick your nose where it don't belong

Those Darn Tasmanian Devils
LOL

Old 01-01-2010, 12:02 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Lol, well if they stopped biting eachothers faces and grew up a little they wouldnt have this problem. How immature lets hope they can solve this.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:58 PM
rj
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by RocknSS04
Little know fact: The largest population of Tazmanian Devels outside of Australia is actually here in North America, centered in Windsor, Canada!!!

LOL!

Good thing Chevy used the TAZ image on the Monte Carlo. To remind us of just how vicious they can reallt be.

Quick Reply: `Tasmanian Devils