New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

My Monte wont take a jump - also CAL ERROR!?

Old 08-31-2013, 03:23 PM
Default My Monte wont take a jump - also CAL ERROR!?

So I pulled my key out of the ignition when it wasnt all the way at 12 o clock - looked like it was cocked at about 1 o click and I somehow was able to get my key out.

We came back to the car about an hour later and it would start - totally dead battery.

I tried to get a jump from someone and it would just TICK TICK TICK TICK and the lights inside the car would flash but it would crank over.

I noticed I was getting a CAL error on my radio.

Whats going on here??

Old 08-31-2013, 03:59 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

You drained your battery COMPLETELY. So it's draining the jump. It needs to be recharged. You can try to Keep it connected to the jumper car for a bit But that may not work. Especially if the battery was old. Getting it checked will tell you if it can be charged or if it has to be replaced.
The message o your Radio is due to a Very low current from the battery.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:02 PM

Bredda,

Thanks for taking the time to reply ~ you're awesome

Yup, I must have drained it bad. Im about to go to where the car is and try jumping it again, this time with bigger cables from a car with a bigger battery.

Again, great info = Thanks so very much

Old 08-31-2013, 04:17 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I would start by checking the connections on the battery first, sometimes they build up a crud and don't make a proper connection.
Then pull the battery and take it to a local shop and have it tested to ensure it can hold the proper charge
If I remember correctly (it has been a long time since I have had to boost a car) but I think you have to connect either the ground or positive to a terminal other than the battery, I believe there is a jump post located on the fender well area

ensure your tranny is fully in park as well, although usually this would not allow the key to cycle to the point of starting, but worth the 2 seconds to put it in neutral and then back in park.

There may be a problem with the security key system as well, usually a code will flash for that on the dash, but there has been reports of these cars having faulty key switches causing problems with the security system of the keys being in the car

Old 08-31-2013, 04:20 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

although it may have been answered for you here https://montecarloforum.com/forum/ge...l-error-44714/

let us know how it works out

Old 08-31-2013, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member

You are welcome. You will find that there are many Monte experts here. They are Very good and have a lot of experience. I have been working on my cars for 32 years, and yet the guys and girls here have been able to teach me some thing new, and stuff about Montes in particular, every day! Good Luck and Safe Driving!!!!!

Old 08-31-2013, 04:26 PM

I sure will holler back

Im going to where the car is now with bigger cables and a car with a bigger battery and try my luck.

If that doesnt work, Im pulling the battery and taking it to a shop to see about getting it charged.

Thanks!!

Old 08-31-2013, 05:59 PM

UPDATE:

Problem solved. Apparently, having the bigger jumper cables from a bigger, newer battery was all that the doctor ordered.

I feel so lucky to have a community like this one to turn if and when my "Mighty Carlo" has a problem.

Thanks you guys!

Old 08-31-2013, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member

I would suggest though that you have tour battery checked, just in case. It can't hurt! Remember Also, if in the future you need to jump your car, it's best if the donor car has a battery al lest of the same cranking amps as yours, if not bigger. Congrats and Safe Driving!