New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Hello!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 05:50 AM
Default Hello!

Hi everyone. I live in Florida and I own a 1987 Aerocoupe. I am having a problem with it running hot after about 10 minutes on the road (about 220F). I have replaced many components and it is still having this problem. First of all, last year the head gasket was blown and we replaced those. We replaced the radiator, water pump, fan clutch, thermostat (180F), and radiator cap. All the hoses are good. The system has been flushed and there is no gunk or anything in it. The oil is clear and not milky. The fan shroud is in good shape. There are no leaks anywhere. Why does it keep running hot like this? It is very frustrating as we can't drive it anywhere past about a mile or 2. The heater core hasn't been replaced after the gasket blew, but everything is flowing correctly. It idles at about 160 or so with no problem, it's just when I drive it that it gets hot. Am I missing something? I would appreciate any insight into this. Thank you so much.

Old 07-17-2016, 05:59 AM

I'm sorry I didn't read the rules. My name is Matt and I am 46. I own a 1987 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe. It is white with gold interior, power windows, locks, and seats. It does not have the original engine because it was stolen, but we put another 305 in it from another 1987 Monte Carlo that we found for sale for $500 several years ago. It looks, runs, and sounds great except for the problem mentioned above. It was running fine before the head gasket blew, we didn't have any issues before that.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:33 AM
Thumbs up Explore & discover

Hi `Matt & Welcome to the MCF. Sorry to read about your present problem & I hope one of our expert member's see's your post/problem & can assist you....(Sadly, I don't have that personal mechanical ability)...

I did find the below from Mr Google's and he helps a lot many time

Please check back on your thread & see what member's posts on your problem & hopefully they can help...

Also check the below links to see if they help....Look forward to reading more about your Monte & the owner...
Explore the MCF & EnJoy

Overheating Problems( chevy 305) - ChevyTalk - FREE Restoration ...

www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/62021

Jun 16, 2015 - Username, Post: Overheating Problems( chevy 305) (Topic#62021) ..... Enginegenerates heat, heat transfered to coolant, disapates through the radiator.overheating issue
Jun 7, 2016

Transmission issue
Apr 12, 2012

Strange overheating problem--any ideas?
Nov 21, 2011

More results from www.chevytalk.org

Common Overheating Cures - Speedway Motors

www.speedwaymotors.com/Tech/engine-overheating-guide-diagnosis

Looking Beyond the Cooling System for Common Overheating Cures. ... So what happens when you have already replaced the radiator, the water pump, and added a new cooling fan, but the car is still running hot? ... Most overheating issues related to air/fuel ratios are the result of a lean ...

overheating small block chevy - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders ...

www.hotrodders.com › ... › Tech Help › Engine

Jun 27, 2006 - 15 posts - ‎9 authors
i finally took the old 305 out of my truck!replaced it with 350 4 blot main ... i too had a severeoverheating problem with my 350 engine. you may ...

305 Overheating - 73-87chevytrucks.com

forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=14929.0

Jan 21, 2010 - 15 posts - ‎8 authors
305 Overheating. ... Still overheats, so I replaced the water pump. Still overheats, same symptoms. ... Is it possible for a bad radiator cap to cause this problem? Or am I looking ... 1986 Chevrolet C10|305V8|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe .... It has resistance when I try to spin it by hand when engine is off.

Engine Overheat Upon Breaking-in a Rebuilt Engine... - Third ...

www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech...engine/126651-engine-overheat-upon-breaking.html

Aug 18, 2002 - Mainly, we were having issues with smoke comming off of the. ... Car: '89 ChevroletCamaro IROC-Z ... I'm not just going to ask "why is it overheating", because I know that could be any number ..... (damn 305's are tough engs!) ...

overheating camaro rs 305 tbi - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

www.thirdgen.org/forums/cooling/614865-overheating-camaro-rs-305-a.html

May 19, 2011 - 3) Are the fan(s) working? If it's heating up in town/traffic, that's usually a fan issue. ...Engine: 305 TBI .... Car: 1982 Trans Am, 1986 Gmc sierra.

Engine REALLY overheating - Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize...ups.../engine-really-overheating-3603...

Sep 15, 2010 - Ok. At first glace i saw my engine really heating up and I thought I just needed some coolant/antifreeze. But I dont. What is happening is my ...

HELP!! Small block chevy overheating! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and ...

www.pirate4x4.com › ... › Brand Specific Tech › Chevy

Nov 27, 2010 - 25 posts - ‎14 authors
I put it in my 84 chevy 4x4 awhile back and it has never been. ... It also has a good water pump off a305 out of my beater pickup. ..... If the engine block is old, and hasn't been flushed in a long time/ever, it could be so full of gunk that ... I had problems with my truck overheating (getting hot) because of this.

Chevy Cooling System Tips - Cool Info For Hot Cars - Super Chevy ...

www.superchevy.com › Super Chevy › How To › Engines & Drivetrain

Sep 6, 2007 - ... in Chevrolet cars to keep your Chevy engine from overheating in the ... Another common problem with all cooling systems, no matter how ...

86 Chevy 305 overheating issues - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro ...

www.ls1lt1.com › ... › Engine Tech › Classic Chevy Small Block & Big Block

Aug 9, 2010 - Hey guys I thought you might be able to help me out with something. My Camaro runs fine upon start-up, but after, say, going down the road at ...