New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

gear shift locked up

Old 08-16-2012, 11:28 PM
3 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default gear shift locked up

Hi guys, my first thread post. I have a 2006 Monte Carlo SS - V8 5.3 liter. Yesterday I got into my car to leave and I could not get it to go in gear. Kept pushing on brake pedal trying to get it to move, would not. Locked up tight. Have never had a problem with it. Anyone have any ideas on what might be wrong, before I take it for repair. PS, I am a woman, so you know what I'm thinking. Thanks.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:50 AM

Welcome to the MCF
To me it sounds like a bad shift solenoid or lose connection.
Check back to see what our expert tech member's post on your problem ?

Here's how to override the shift lock on a 2006 Monte Carlo. First, remove the top of the shift console by pulling up on the plastic piece directly in front of the hinged cover. This is the piece that has the cup holders molded into it and it is held in place by 4 clips (i.e. it will pop back into place with no tools).

Next, shine a flashlight down into the console to the right of where the shift lever passes through (passenger's side). You'll see a wiring clip with 4 or 5 wires going into it. Directly behind this clip you can see a metal shaft with a flared top that looks like a button. This is the shift lock override button. Reach in behind the wiring clip with your right hand and press this button in. With the engine running, hold the button in with your right hand, press on the brake, and shift out of park with your left hand.

Now you can drive the car to your mechanic (or to your own garage) to find out why the shift lock solenoid is not working. On mine it was obvious. A wire going into that clip near the override button came loose and there was no power to the shift lock solenoid. I removed the clip, reattached the wire, and replaced the clip. Problem solved, fixed for free!

Old 08-19-2012, 10:33 PM

I have had this problem before in my Silverado, however mine was the brake pedal switch. I have also heard of of the shift solenoid causing problems also.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ktagrnma3
......PS, I am a woman, so you know what I'm thinking. Thanks.
I will never know what your thinking.
welcome to the site.
It sounds like the shift solenoid to me too. If you don't feel comfortable taking apart the center counsel you may have to have it towed to a shop. Good luck

Last edited by lougreen03; 08-19-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:13 AM

This happened to me as well. My car was stuck in park and would not shift into any gears. What happened was I had a cell phone charger I ran under the console into the center compartment. When I did that, I snagged the wiring harness that goes into the shifter and pulled the black wire out of the harness. From Space's quote, this must be the shift lock solenoid. I just ended up putting it back into the harness and wrapping the wire and connector with electrical tape. Car shifted and I can drive again.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:23 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by lougreen03
I will never know what your thinking.
welcome to the site.
X2!
Good Call Lou!!!

Welcome to the Forum!

Greetings and Salutations!

Thanks Space for that answer and Post!...
You Da Man!

Old 02-21-2014, 01:31 PM

Having the same issue with my 2006 Monte Carlos where the gear shaft locked but only doesn't shift into reverse. I'm not certain what part I'd be looking for to get that fixed?