New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

2001 MCSS 3.8 electric issues after engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 04:06 AM
Default 2001 MCSS 3.8 electric issues after engine swap

Hello everyone, name is John from Sacramento.
I took on a job of engine replacement for a friend of my family member. This guy bailed after he took the motor out. I came in the picture and commissioned to finish where he left off.I have years of this type of projects and this Monte carlo has me stumped. I went over this guys work and found a few issues with other things and addressed them. Long story short I was able to get the engine placed back in and before i started connecting the harness I went through it to look for any possible signs of forgotten grounds or plugs being rip during the engine being pulled. This guy didnt unbolt the converter while pulling engine from the top so this give you an idea of what i stepped into. Poor pass side CV axle. Anyway,
Ok 5 days 10-12 hrs of me going through and finding correct bolts for new engine and bamm I got it together.
The day came to turn over after install......guess what?
No noise from starter dash blinks every 15sec. Relay clicks in side panel fuse box and all lights flickering. The warning lights cycles every warning that it display in dash like oil, abs traction control, security warning...ect ect.. It seems like the car alarm is going off and everthing lights up but no noise from the horn. I was given a Home Depot spare key. The original Key is with the guy and he is holding it for ransom. I know these pass lock systems and did the thing and waited, full charged battery, harness was gone through and replaced crumbling plastic and taped with heat resistant elec tape.
My issues the dash lights up, fuel it shows empty but there is a full tank. Gauges flicker in 15sec intervals nothing to starter. I touched the starter with screw driver and it turns. Dealer replaced lock n key at one time. This woman is on her A game as maintenance goes and parts that was replaced in the past but old engine busted a rod. She CAN NOT PAY FOR AND HOPE THIS PART WORKS IDEAS.
I think its the BCM or ECM but it was running fine before!.
Im thinking of going in and look at the work in the key switch and see if it was bypassed or what ever. I also notice that this steering wheel dont lock to. My next step is a fusable link on starter if it has one. My other question is should the ECM come with this motor or plug in play swap? its a 3.8 also
Im able to answer this post right away btw

Last edited by Johnbichko; 10-04-2016 at 04:11 AM.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'd guess the BCM or PCM also. If you have the PCM from the donor car (if it's the same kind of car) should work

Old 10-04-2016, 05:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

X2.
The PCM needs to have the same calibration ID as the engine that your replacing it with.
If not, replace it with the PCM from the donor car or have the original one flashed to match the replacement engine. The BCM and Passlock code needs to sync. with the PCM so a 30 minute security re-learn procedure is needed after the swap.