New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

01 Monte Carlo 3.4

Old 02-21-2017, 08:35 PM
Default 01 Monte Carlo 3.4

Hi I have a 2001 Monte Carlo 3.4. Having a serious problem and I have googled the problem so many times that I just need someone's help at this point. Was driving on the freeway the other night and car was running fine. All the sudden I started losing speed, all my light were bright no dimming, went to pull off the freeway and my car died. Tried to start it and it was dead silent, had someone jump me and it make a click sound like it wanted to start but nothing, also when we were jumping it a small poof of smoke came, from where I think was from the bottom of the fan/radiator area can't be 100% because it was dark, and it smelt like burnt rubber/plastic. Someone help me!! PLEASE... I'm thinking either the ground wire fried or maybe some wire for the battery is bad

Old 02-21-2017, 09:01 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by ammaldo
Hi I have a 2001 Monte Carlo 3.4. Having a serious problem and I have googled the problem so many times that I just need someone's help at this point. Was driving on the freeway the other night and car was running fine. All the sudden I started losing speed, all my light were bright no dimming, went to pull off the freeway and my car died. Tried to start it and it was dead silent, had someone jump me and it make a click sound like it wanted to start but nothing, also when we were jumping it a small poof of smoke came, from where I think was from the bottom of the fan/radiator area can't be 100% because it was dark, and it smelt like burnt rubber/plastic. Someone help me!! PLEASE... I'm thinking either the ground wire fried or maybe some wire for the battery is bad
Do you know how old the Battery is?
I have had them go bad like that and stuff just dies. You might have an alternator going bad that might have been some of the issue, check your battery to see what voltage it is putting out. They have so much to operate in todays car that when they go they are done for sure. If it's 5years or older and not an AC Delco then get a new one. As far as the puff you may have cross connected something and got a short. There is a specific way to jump start the car. It will tell all about that in the owner manual. That's a guess but I might begin there if it was mine.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:09 PM

The battery is about 4 months old, and it got my friends car to start when we were waiting for the tow truck because their car died. The altanator was replaced less then a year ago. That poof of smoke came out even when I tried to start it without being jumped. I'm at a complete loss of what is going on. This car has literally been one thing after another since I got it. It sucks I love the car I just can't keep putting all this money into it. I just need to figure out how to get it to start so I can get it to the dealership.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:21 PM

Possibly the starter cable. It runs under the front end where you're describing. I've had no end of trouble with mine.

Search this Thread