NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

Daytona Predictions anyone???

Old 02-26-2017, 07:09 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile Daytona Predictions anyone???

Well today is the big day at Daytona, so many changes that it is difficult to keep track.
I was kind of surprised that Stewart- Hass switched to Fords.
I have always been disappointed that Toyota is even in Nascar ?
But today I am Hoping that the Chevy drivers can pull it off.
Dale Jr, Chase Elliot or JJ.

What you'all thinking???

Old 02-26-2017, 08:55 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well, I'm glad someone spoke out! I wasn't starting the thread. But I will be watching the Daytona 500 today, inspite my claims that I don't watch NASCAR anymore.

The big highlight for me is in a Toyota: DJ Kennington. Maybe you've never heard of him or maybe you remember me mentioning him. I know him and he know me and the BudChev. He is from London Ontario (billed as from St. Thomas, Ontario) like myself and we used to race against him (and Truex's crew chief Cole Pearn) at Delaware Speedway right around the time I got my Monte. But DJ's race shop was right next to ours, and when we'd take a break from working on the car when pop into his shop, and vice-versa. Him and his boys actually spent more time at our shop because we needed the help more. I can remember the first time they stopped by and I had the freshly decal BudChev out front. When I got it done most people (non-racers) thought I was nuts for dropping a thousand bucks on it, but not DJ. He thought it was cool and said "What's a thousand bucks to race guys like us?" A thousand bucks was easier to come by for DJ, who for all his career has enjoyed a premium dedicated sponsor with Castrol. But that wasn't the point he was making. Every weekend we'd easily do $1000 damage to the car on track.

I even "prepared" a car for DJ to race once. My team driver/ owner kinda sucked, but we had enough money in the car and I'd helped put it back together from the week before. DJ had moved onto the CASCAR series, but leased the car from us for a bigger track event. I could have been on his pit crew that race, but I wanted to watch one from the stands. Besides, he was bringing some of his own boys and I would have been useless. He ran well and lead laps in the car, but carb problems sidelined the car before the race was done. I had nothing to do with that - I swear!

So anyways, I excited because I never actually knew anybody who raced in the Daytona 500. The #96 ain't likely to win, but he was the top qualifying non-charter car and I really hope he can do us proud out there today. He's a reminder that my life could have been different if I stayed involved in racing. I really didn't think racing at Delaware Speedway could ever lead to anything.

/long boring story

I got lot's of people I want to win. Jr, of course. Chase is my next guy and Danica got herself a top 5 in the Clash - her first! She's been good @ Daytona before. She's better in a short race I suppose.

I'll pick:

1. Dale Jr
2. Chase Elliott
3. DJ Kennington

Old 02-26-2017, 11:16 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
Cool

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
Well, I'm glad someone spoke out! I wasn't starting the thread. But I will be watching the Daytona 500 today, inspite my claims that I don't watch NASCAR anymore.

The big highlight for me is in a Toyota: DJ Kennington. Maybe you've never heard of him or maybe you remember me mentioning him. I know him and he know me and the BudChev. He is from London Ontario (billed as from St. Thomas, Ontario) like myself and we used to race against him (and Truex's crew chief Cole Pearn) at Delaware Speedway right around the time I got my Monte. But DJ's race shop was right next to ours, and when we'd take a break from working on the car when pop into his shop, and vice-versa. Him and his boys actually spent more time at our shop because we needed the help more. I can remember the first time they stopped by and I had the freshly decal BudChev out front. When I got it done most people (non-racers) thought I was nuts for dropping a thousand bucks on it, but not DJ. He thought it was cool and said "What's a thousand bucks to race guys like us?" A thousand bucks was easier to come by for DJ, who for all his career has enjoyed a premium dedicated sponsor with Castrol. But that wasn't the point he was making. Every weekend we'd easily do $1000 damage to the car on track.

I even "prepared" a car for DJ to race once. My team driver/ owner kinda sucked, but we had enough money in the car and I'd helped put it back together from the week before. DJ had moved onto the CASCAR series, but leased the car from us for a bigger track event. I could have been on his pit crew that race, but I wanted to watch one from the stands. Besides, he was bringing some of his own boys and I would have been useless. He ran well and lead laps in the car, but carb problems sidelined the car before the race was done. I had nothing to do with that - I swear!

So anyways, I excited because I never actually knew anybody who raced in the Daytona 500. The #96 ain't likely to win, but he was the top qualifying non-charter car and I really hope he can do us proud out there today. He's a reminder that my life could have been different if I stayed involved in racing. I really didn't think racing at Delaware Speedway could ever lead to anything.

/long boring story

I got lot's of people I want to win. Jr, of course. Chase is my next guy and Danica got herself a top 5 in the Clash - her first! She's been good @ Daytona before. She's better in a short race I suppose.

I'll pick:

1. Dale Jr
2. Chase Elliott
3. DJ Kennington
I saw your DJ friend placed good enough at the end of the duals and made it in. Pretty cool for sure.

The cost for the Decals is an expensive thing I had 2 friends that did the 3 car and the 8 car.

This is something I have always thought was a very bold statement for the Fan of your Favorite driver. I had so many people who did a Car in the Race replica motif that I had no need to do it.

Plus I had 2 kids that were going to college and I needed to step up for that.

I got a few decals on the Monte. Most of them are used to cover up the dings that inconsiderate drivers left me in various parking lots over the years.

I have been lucky when we did an appearance that these dedicated fans made the Cars up. We were able to do a bunch of Charity events over the years.

Unfortunately for these guys this was a maintenance issue to keep them up, and it never appreciated the value of the car when they tried to sell it later.

You can see a few on ebay that can't get sold they don't want to give them away but they cant get a bid.

The one car that I always wanted was a Lumina that a friend of mine did and it looks great. You may have seen the pics. He passed away and then his widow wanted me to buy it. She started the price at $10k and dept dropping but when the thing is all done a 2 dr. Lumina with a tan interior that has smoke stains is only worth about $600 to 1000. dollars. I was kind of disappointed that they were that bold when I had done so much for him during his illness. Sa-La Vee...........

Anyway M Waltrip says this is his last 500. I wonder how many people he will wreck today that what he is noted for. the Big mouth crash test dummy. hopefully he will only be involved with him self.

Anyway enjoy the race back when Dale was running I wouldn't miss any of them and if I did I would record it so I could watch it. Now I just catch the High lights on tv.

Attached Thumbnails Daytona Predictions anyone???-replicas.jpg   Daytona Predictions anyone???-d-d-9a-.jpg  

Last edited by drivernumber3; 02-26-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:45 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member

$1000 in declas also doesn't compare to what GM wants for the factory decal.

That is awesome that a local hero made it to the top! I did read a story the weeks leading up to the race about how he was the last of a breed - a type who worked his way from humble beginnings to get there. Compared to Joey Logano, who was born in CT, then his father realized if his son was to make it they had to move to Charlotte, which could jeopardize his sisters skating career, so he built a regulation skating rink for his daughter to continue skating. That's big money!

Search this Thread