Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Windshield wiper fluid doesn't squirt

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 01:35 AM
Default Windshield wiper fluid doesn't squirt

Well, so far, I have tried to clean out the nozzle where the fluid is to come out for the wipers, but nothing. Has anyone run into this problem, and have at least taken care of it?

Old 08-16-2009, 04:28 AM

The tubing that runs under the hood of your car, normally between the metal and the fire-retardent material, is most likely cracked or cut. There are usualy several plastic "T's" in addition to the tubing that split the line so fluid can come out of multiple locations - the tube may have pulled away from this "T". Un-hook the fire-retardent material and inspect the tubing...you should find the problem and it is probably an easy fix.

Hope the above gives you something to check & hopefully
fixes the problem. Check for clogs...Good Luck
and good sprays : )

Old 08-16-2009, 07:46 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

dumb question. Have you checked to see if the pump is working at all?

Old 08-16-2009, 04:26 PM

Thanks guys...I am off to check both options out right now...

Old 08-16-2009, 04:48 PM

also just check to see if there is a kink in the tubing

Old 08-17-2009, 04:27 PM

JJsRYD was right in checking the pump. It doesn't work.

Damn. Time to take a trip to the junkyard...once my student loan comes in.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:16 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

well, look at it this way: a 4th gen should have a fairly common pump / washer bottle ( easer to just get a used pump & bottle, quicker to install, no leaks). us guys with a 5th gen get to pull ours out every time we need to get to the battery, caus the tank lives on top! what were the GM engeneers thinking on that one! so as a result, and due to the fact that its a HUGE PITA to take em out / put em in, people just toss em & use windex & a rag!

i dont think a washerbottle & a pump should cost ya a ton, genaric GM part & if you have a couple of screwdrivers & wrenchs you could install it in the driveway.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:30 PM

Right on, thanks! One thing I am going to have to check on as well, is to see if the washer pumps are interchangeable with G.M. vehicles from the same era.

But yeah, there's a lot of things one wonders about the engineers. My brother asked the same thing yesterday when he was looking at the proximity of parts within the engine compartment. I told him it's all about having to please the gods of emissions.

Last edited by 1984LCMonte; 08-17-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

ohh, yha. i hate emissions. plus you get those california only extras. lucky you! ill say, though, i had an 84 olds before my 5th gen, and i thought the emissions took up space, too! HA! my dad has a 5th gen Z34, with a 3.4 dohc v6. you have to pull off most of the top end of the engine to do plugs & wires now THATS a pita, lol.

i would think that the pumps & probibly even tanks from 80's GM cars should be interchangeable, and fairly common.

oh, and i gots to agree... Mad Max does rule

Old 08-18-2009, 02:58 AM

This is what I love about wrecking yards, is that for mine, I've been noticing how much stuff can fit onto mine. Thanks for the info as well!

I am a huge fan of Mad Max, and I did add a picture of the interceptor in the signature, but for some odd reason it's not coming up!

Quick Reply: Windshield wiper fluid doesn't squirt