Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Windshield Wiper Arms wont return to stationary position

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Default Windshield Wiper Arms wont return to stationary position

Hey Guys,
Another quick question, about a year ago my windshield wipers have seem to have "broken" I use that term because when I turn them to the off position, they stick directly up. Ive looked all over for a while and I used to have a 02 impala with the same problem, took it to the gm dealer (fagen) and they charged me 500 dollars for a new turn signal ****.. not really convinced it was that, Anyway if any of you have had the problem or know someone who has had the problem and know of a solution that you can do yourself please post otherwise list the part that is faulty.

Thanks guys,

Kz

Old 03-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

i literally just fixed mine yesterday. it happened a couple of months ago when i was cleaning off the car in the morning and started the car, had left the wipers on from the night before and since they were buried under the snow and ice on the car, they got stuck.

i did some research and googled "wipers stuck in vertical position". i found this thread on a chevy forum: http://chevroletforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20731

complete with photos and whatnot. i tried bending the "park" tab but it still didn't work right. i ended up having to replace the crank arm (part # 12494832) and that worked like a charm. wasn't too hard to do at all, just a matter of figuring out what exactly was the issue. the dealership tried telling me to replace the entire wiper transmission at a cost of around $180, but i didn't think that was really the issue. went out on my own limb and bought the crank arm (it is the piece that is on top of the motor that the transmission pops on to) for about $60.

hope that helps, i'd try bending the park tab first and go from there!