Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2002 Monte Carlo SS electrical problems.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:21 AM
Default 2002 Monte Carlo SS electrical problems.

Bout a month or so ago, once in a while I'd get in to leave and the security light would blink and the car wouldnt start. So Id have to wait 10 mins and she'd fire up and go. Occasionally the security light would also come on while driving, but with no ill effects. Well knowing the notorious issues GM has had with the Passlock systems on the MCs, Impalas and Grand Prix, I figured it was my Passlock going bad or maybe even my ignition cylinder/switch going out. It didnt happen frequently so I've let it slide till I could replace it myself.

However in the last 4 or 5 days, some of my instrument cluster lights quit working (not all, just my oil pressure and temp gauge) as well as my rear view mirror system lights and my thermostat setting lights on my AC/Heater unit. But now also starting at the same time, after the car has sat for several hours, if I go to crank it, it does nothing. My gauges wont move, I get the Low Fuel light and Service Engine Soon light. You cant hear the fuel pump engage or nothing. I can turn the key to ON and let it sit for about 45 seconds then everything kicks in, you can hear the fuel pump go active and the relay behind the instrument panel activate and I can start it. Once it starts I can turn it off and crank it right back up. Its only after the car sits idle for a while. Also since this started, once in a while you can hear some "sizzling" coming from behind my dash/instrument panel.

So in light of this, I'm guessing my BCM is going bad? Or perhaps a combination of my BCM and Passlock? But IIRC the passlock is also controlled by the BCM correct? I've disconnected the battery for 15 or so mins to let the cars computers reset themselves. Still same issues.

In which case if it is my BCM, its located under the dash on the firewall just above the brake pedal right? I know where the PCM is under the air box, just am not 100% sure about the body control module.

Last edited by Kudz_SS; 05-15-2010 at 02:24 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:29 PM

I also noticed today after I got the car started, that when I turned it off and pulled the key out, the key was blistering hot. I know thats not normal.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:35 PM

change the ignition switch and tumbler before it catches fire and you next post is "well my monte burned to the ground because i didn't fix the **** that was wrong with it".
the sizzling noise was probably just a dash gauge motor trying to operate but the hot key is concerning. change it out stop writing about it if you know the problem, just fix what you know is wrong and see if the other issues stop too.

I'M GONNA CAPS CRUISE HERE FOR A BIT

DISCONNECTING THE BATTERY DOESN'T RESET COMPUTERS OR ENGINE LIGHTS OR ETC. all it does is wipe out the pcm's short term memory on how to run the engine, and driving it for 2-3 miles will relearn itself.

lets put it this way if you pc crashes and won't work right do you unplug it wait an hour and try it again???

Old 05-15-2010, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Justin Knight
change it out stop writing about it if you know the problem, just fix what you know is wrong and see if the other issues stop too.

Well if I was CERTAIN of the problem I would fix it and wouldnt have wasted my time with this forum. But Im not. Thats the whole point of the post and was looking for options. I've already spent way too much money fixing things on these raggedy *** cars from GM that wasnt the cause of the problem, especially considering GM/dealership dont even know wth is wrong with their own damn car. Hopefully it will catch fire so I can collect my insurance money and go buy a car from a company that didnt go bankrupt by selling trash.

But thanks anyway for your marvelous insight.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:14 PM

Hi guys and girls, I love my monte, its 100,000 miles now and has done well, we have only done a few repairs and recall on it but now its doing the start dont start thing randomly that alot of other gm cars are doing. I imagine by reading that it is either the remote, the ignition, or the passkey or just the whole computer? we cant afford to keep the car if the dealers cant be honest with us and tell us whats wrong. WE were jumpin it every morning, and then now we have discovered that if all the lights go out in the "on " position while the key is in, you turn it off and back on it starts. i dunno, hope some nice person here will help . We adore our car.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:37 PM

I would like to disarm the security system to see if it's the problem I am having. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Thanks.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:13 PM

need to disable mine..any progress? mine is not responding to any of the above, nor gm's own special codes.