Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

need an excorcist, BCM, have major short, or?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 09:33 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008
Default need an excorcist, BCM, have major short, or?

My baby is sick, real sick. All stock, no aftermarket.

About 2 years ago my radio went nuts and got stuck in clock mode, radio still played but the display was just running through the time. The ***** worked but the buttons and steering wheel controls did not. Decided to start working again and has been fine for a year or so.

Last spring the low coolant light came on. Not low. Replaced sensor. Fine for about a week and went back to on and off working like the previous one. Now it stays on.

At times the light on the rearview mirror will come on either when started or when a door is opened and stay on until you physically push the button to turn it off.

Got in it one day 3-4 months ago and NOTHING. Decided the battery was bad as it wouldn't charge so replaced it. Had alternator checked at the same time. Checked ok.

The other day the ac was blowing hot air but the next it was blowing cool but not cold.

Then the radio went nuts again except this time it decided the scan mode would be more fun. None of the buttons work, neither do the steering wheel controls BUT if you hold down the eject button, yep, eject, it will stay on the same station until you release it.

Two days after the ac and radio, I get in and it's completely dead again. Nothing, nada, zip.
Hubby put the charger on the battery, it sparks like crazy. Let's it charge a while and tries to start it. Lights flash on and off, lots of clicking, strange thumbing sounds from speakers, but not enough juice to start (did that last time too when we replaced the battery {see above}, but no sparks and battery never got enough umph to start it). Turn off ignition and remove key but it contiues with the flashing lights, clicking, speaker noise for probably 5 seconds longer. Let charge longer, starts fine. Let set over night, completely dead again.

So does the BCM control all those things or are they unrelated? I just can't see that many different issues not going back to the same thing.
I did find on here were someone had an '01 and Bowtietech said to pull the BCM to check a code date on it. I haven't puled mine yet but mine being an '02 chances are mine falls in that bad datetoo because the one the person replaced theirs with was an '08 date (code GMAN 170, anything below that code was suspect).

My son is going to check to see if he can find any shorts this week. Is there a way to check the BCM? Any other suggestions (other than getting rid of it, that's not an option I'm ready to look at)?

It runs fine - or at least it did the last time it started. All bets are off on that now with the way things have been going lately.

Thanks

Old 04-14-2011, 12:32 AM

Hey did you ever figure out what the problem was? I am having some issues with my radio and lights too.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:50 AM
Photobucket

Well....a friend came by and started checking things and decided it was the BCM staying awake. Called the dealer, took it in and they decided the same thing. While it was there and getting a new brain I had them flush the cooling system. Go pick it up, coolant light still on, radio still stuck in scan, I can't tell anything different. That was Friday. Sunday I go out to start it - nothing, dead again. Charged the battery and took it back to them Tuesday. Coolant light out until right before I got there and hello coolant light. Anyway they have supposedly traced the battery drain to the radio. That saga is continued here: https://montecarloforum.com/forum/of...ght-now-27409/

Old 04-14-2011, 10:18 AM

I think you need an exorcist, not a mechanic.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:14 AM

Welcome to the world of General Motors automobiles! It just seems too coincidental that we the owners of GM products have these kinds of problems and then some. I feel bad for ya cuz Ive had my share of problems and some of them very expensive to fix with my 2002 Monte Carlo SS pace car. I will never purchase another GM product again even if they offer a 100K mile warranty on it! It sounds like you need a good working replacement radio for your vehicle.If you want to save some money then try a junk yard which carries GM cars. You will find a working radio unless you want to send your original radio out to shop for service which is another alternative. I know that GM parts will charge you aprox $550 for a new radio!

Old 04-15-2011, 07:50 AM
Photobucket

Yeah, $666 and some odd change for a new one installed and programmed. I spoke to a radio service shop that sells used ones for $40. They said it'd be cheaper to buy the used one than to have mine repaired. The service tech at the dealer said he's seen about half of the used ones not take the programming. So I made a comment about an aftermarket - he said that's what he has in his Yukon, LOL. So...right now it's disconnected and we'll see if my draw stays gone, if it does, I may just go aftermarket and get the proper wiring harness and adapter so I can keep my chimes and steering wheel controls.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:58 AM

Dustybird, If you go aftermarket then you cant use the onboard stereo amp that you have in your trunk. You will either have to use the amp in your new aftermarket radio which is around 10 watts or so per channel or purchase a new stereo amp and have it installed.....the factory amp that you have will only accept a 2 ohm high level load and no low level RCA connectors so unless you also purchase a converter it wont work. Most high end car stereo shops will know how to install an aftermarket radio into your car. I'm not 100% sure but i think if you do go aftermarket even with adapters for the steering wheel controls...you wont be able to manage your other features such as the oil monitor, tire air pressure monitor, alarm settings etc. It's better to shop around on line and see if you can find an OEM car stereo shop which carries refurbished GM radios which are unlocked so you dont have to get them programmed at the dealer.The unlocked radios will be plug and play for you without any programming needed.

Last edited by BIGAL131; 04-19-2011 at 08:21 AM. Reason: new information
Old 04-15-2011, 10:10 AM
Photobucket

Thanks. I know the oil life and TPM cannot be reset with an aftermarket but I always set them manaully because my radio is so screwed up I haven't been able to set it through it anyway so that's not a problem. I won't be changing any of the other things like how long the lights stay on, etc. either, so again that's no a problem. I'll talk to crutchfield again but it was my understanding the amp would work. When I spoke to a shop that sells used and refurbished OEM radios, he said that when I put it in my car it will lock and I'll have to have it programmed. Now I'm confused. Maybe I'll just put a battery powered "jambox" in there and forget it, LOL. Right now I'm more concerned with it's drivablity than with a radio.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:36 PM

There are several shops on the internet that will sell you an unlocked head unit for your Monte....It can be installed easily without being programmed again

Old 04-18-2011, 11:22 AM
Photobucket

Really?! Do you happen to have a link to one of them? I did a search and came up with nothing. Thanks!

Quick Reply: need an excorcist, BCM, have major short, or?