Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Upper windshield leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 10:59 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Upper windshield leak

I've got an 02 Monte LS. It does not have a moon roof.

The windshield was replaced a couple of years ago. I had pulled the carpet and noticed the foam underneath the carpet was wet on the passenger side. Doing a leak check, I noticed water was leaking in at the top of the windshield on the passenger side, running down the A pillar trim piece and going underneath the carpet.

It looks like the water is coming in at around the area where that trim valley piece runs into the windshield on the outer roof. Is there a body seam in there that can leak? Or would it be a poorly sealed windshield install or possibly that rubber piece that wraps around the windshield is leaking?

In a few weeks the shop that installed the windshield is going to look at it, but said since it had been a few years that they wouldn't warranty it. I'm betting the windshield will have to be pulled. But I'll see what they say they think is leaking and probably take it elsewhere to have it fixed if I have to pay for it.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Even if you have no warranty maybe you can get them to give you deal if they did work on it before. wouldn't hurt to ask.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by lougreen03
Even if you have no warranty maybe you can get them to give you deal if they did work on it before. wouldn't hurt to ask.
Nah, the guy I talked to at the shop was a joke. Not someone I'd want to do business with. Plus the receipt says lifetime warranty, but the shop said that is only for delamination. I guess since their work doesn't have that kind of warranty then they can half *** it.

I say the shop screwed something up so they should fix it instead of charging me to fix their mistake as windshields shouldn't ever leak. I'm betting the windshield will have to get pulled just to see where it was leaking. And probably would be a good idea to do that anyways to check for rust.

The bad thing would be if the glass needs to be pulled, and it ended up getting cracked. Which would be another windshield job.

I went ahead and have the dash and all trim removed. I still need to do the headliner. That's the proper way to do it so you don't glue down any trim from the windshield adhesive and can water leak check the entire windshield.

The front dash trim piece was glued to the front of the windshield and was a pain to remove.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:00 PM

It looks like that outer roof trim piece is where it is leaking at. As you can see that trim piece inside at the windshield. When you press on it at the end inside the car, water squeezed out. The place water squeezes out is marked in yellow. The trim piece is marked in red. And I also noticed what looks like some old sealant that is marked in blue. But looks like it is leaking in at that trim piece.