Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

turn signal makes buzzing noise and then a whole bunch of lights come on

Old 02-13-2012, 04:46 AM
Default turn signal makes buzzing noise and then a whole bunch of lights come on

i noticed this today when i turn on the turning signal (doesn't matter which direction) a buzzing sound happens from the dash then the ABS, Trac off battery light, and check traction control light comes on. then a few seconds later they will all turn off and sometimes the trac off light will stay on. anyone know whats going on? it scared the hell out of me.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:34 AM

There's been a lot of speculation on the traction & ABS light culprit here

As to why it seems to be directly related to only your turn signal, I don't have a clue. Poor wiring connection somewhere is my best uneducated guess. Check any fuses to be sure.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:44 PM

I would think the signal switch could be bad and is back feeding voltage to the ip cluster but I've seen the hazard switch do that also because it's also the flasher for the turn signals and it has illumination when the headlight are on. Check the wire harnesses for both for burnt contacts.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:35 AM

how would i go about checking the wire harnesses?

Old 02-24-2012, 12:38 AM

okay let me rephrase that, how do i GET to the wire harness to check if they're burnt? btw, now when i start the car, all those lights go on without me using the turning signals. turning signal still buzzes momentarily then eventually works again. (and causing all the lights to go on again while driving)

Last edited by Redline29; 02-24-2012 at 01:01 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:14 AM

been getting a headache searching for solutions to this problem and it seems like a BCM problem. but from what i've read that is an expensive fix. please anyone if they've had this problem before and it was fixed by replacing the bcm and getting it reprogrammed, did this solve it? i hate to go spending money replacing things that wont solve the problem. thank you

and now the car doesn't start. but when it does, it starts like nothing ever happened, but with all the warning lights on and the same problem as before with the turn signals etc.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:24 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It would be more expensive to fry the cars whole electrical system. I would quit while I'm ahead and have a competent shop diagnois the problem and quote a repair cost. Could just be a turn signal control like my daughters 01 Malibu had fail. if thats the case then you can buy a used or aftermarket one, give it to the shop to install and pay only labor to them as new ones pop about $200 + Sorry to hear your having to deal with this glitch....Hope your back on the road soon.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:12 AM

I would like to chime in here... please note though, this is only my experience.

I had my BCM go. Weird things would happen on my dash, loc would show on my radio, all gauges would go funny and odd lights would turn on and off. BCM took care of that.

HOWEVER,

On my Plymouth, I had a turn signal flasher (like a relay that makes the signals flash on and off) go on me. It was actually a burnt contact within the bi-metal parts inside that unit. It would basically flash on and off very fast. So fast I thought it was always on. The buzz I heard was the unit flashing the signals very very fast. They are cheap to replace but I took mine apart and ground down the burn contact to fresh metal (I was REALLY broke at that time). What rang a bell here was when that unit would go crazy, other things happened, such as my ebrake light would shine, or the shift indicator would illuminate both up and down.

Without this experience, I would immediately jump to BCM. But a quick $5 part maaaaay be worth a shot. I don't even know where the flasher unit is on the MCs but it's usually under the dash.

Oh, and my MC also doesn't intermittently start as well. People are suggesting Passlock but I don't have any other symptoms such as the security light coming on.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:21 PM

so i succumbed to the problems and took it into the dealer. turns out that the ignition switch shorted which led to the BCM frying. im getting both replaced for a total of $909. ouch...

Old 03-20-2012, 10:03 PM

BCMS are evil...mine would play with my door locks while driving ha

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: turn signal makes buzzing noise and then a whole bunch of lights come on