Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Question - steering, suspension, other ideas??

Old 02-14-2010, 11:45 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Question - steering, suspension, other ideas??

Hi guys. I need help figuring out a problem and I'm not quite sure which section it should go in...

I have a 2004 SS SC, bought used beginning of January with 82k on it from a dealer so I have no history on it. It has been at the mechanic's for the last week and a half - not related to this.

I got it back Friday afternoon and something seemed different but I couldn't quite pinpoint it. Thought maybe its just because I haven't driven it enough yet. Realized when I got home I never heard what I thought was the ISS noise problem that has been constant since I got it. I'm sure my mechanic didn't grease it.

Yesterday I went on a longer trip. While parking I seemed to hear a rubbing sound from the passenger side while pulling in the space - and no, I didn't hit anything Turned the wheels both ways, got out each time and checked, didn't see anything noticeable. This has happened twice, both times I was turning left into a parking space. Couldn't reproduce that noise when I got home though. B/f checked the tires and put a little air in them but not much. They weren't real low. Only happened a couple times so it may not related to the main problem. Hmmm... maybe i should check the brakes on that side.

What its really worrying me
is that the suspected ISS noise is suddenly gone and there is a definite weirdness in steering in turns. When I first start to turn it seems real stiff, not super hard to turn but almost like it fights against it at first, and then suddenly it will seem way too loose. No noise like you usually get with power steering problems though. Its not making any noise at all.

We pulled the manual out last night and a finally found where the power steering fluid is to check it (how the heck do they expect you to get to THAT!) but it was too late and dark to check it then. Will be doing that today.

So, finally, questions... could it just be low fluid causing the weirdness? if it is not low fluid... what else should I start looking for? Power steering pump? Suspension?? I searched around first to try to find a solution, but I'm not sure what search terms to use. If anyone could point me in a direction of possible things to check I'll search more

Old 02-14-2010, 11:58 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My first thought when reading was to check the PS Fluid. So hopefully you get that done.

Also if you are turning left and having issues, it could be the hub assembly / bearings in the front passenger tire.

The greasing the ISS can be done yourself

Old 02-14-2010, 12:20 PM

Hmmm, should have checked before I posted. Just checked it now. Its cold - haven't run it today. I can see some amount of fluid in it by looking in the top - but nothing is touching even the end of the stick. Expected it to be at the COLD mark or at least be in the ADD area. Checked it a few times to be sure I was getting the cap screwed on enough. Ugh, now I'll put more in and watch for leaks.

Thanks for the info! I may have multiple problems going on so I'll read up on hub assembly / bearings too

The ISS - I had planned on doing that myself, but I haven't yet, and the noise is just gone now. So weird. I know the mech didn't do anything with it, told him not to, and he didn't charge or mention it. Heh, maybe it will show back up when I add the ps fluid.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:24 PM

15 Year Member

Our cars tend to hate PS fluid in the winter time. GM makes a specific cold weather fluid that you can throw in.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:44 PM

Can't find anything local that looks like they would have it. Maybe I can check at the GM dealer tomorrow. Any other brand suggestions? Do you use anything else other than GM?

Old 02-15-2010, 08:35 AM

15 Year Member

I would stick with the GM stuff

Old 02-15-2010, 08:58 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

For my car, the only approved fluid that meets the spec for power steering is the GM fluid.

However, older models you can usually find a fluid that meets the spec. Redline fully synthetic power steering fluid meets the specs of the older power steering units, and it should be better in cold climates since its a full synthetic.

Look in your owners manual for the spec on your power steering fluid (it will be in the section where it tells you what type of fluids your car takes). Once you know this spec, then just turn over bottles at the auto store till you find one that meets the spec. If you happen to have the same stuff they used in 06+ vehicles (Part number 89020661) then the only place you will find it is a GM dealer. If its the older spec (105....something, you will find plenty of fluids that meet the spec (redline being one of many)).