Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Traction control activating on dry pavement

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 08:35 PM
Default Traction control activating on dry pavement

Hello All,

I have a 2006 Monte Carlo SS. I recently put on four new tires and a left front wheel bearing. Ever since I have been noticing my traction control and can feel the left front tire spinning. I get this when I am backing up out of my driveway and then when I go forward and turn the wheel to the left. I also notice when I am a stop sign and turning left. I am not accelerating hard just normal. Do you think this has anything to do with the new wheel bearing?? Any help would be grateful!!!

Old 05-29-2013, 09:41 PM

i have no idea what this is. it happens on my 96 as well. its kinda hard to stop and its almost killed me once recently.

i've heard calipers......i've also heard its 3 or 4 other things. no one seems to know lol

Old 05-30-2013, 05:28 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

What kind of bearing did you put on the car?

Old 06-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

It could be a loose wire connected to your abs wheel speed sensor. It was happening to mine in a very similar fashion, when turning the wheels left and upon take off. I found that the wires had corroded, as they are placed in a less than ideal position, and when you turn the wheels they are pulled along with and run over top of the front axles (I believe it has been a while since I've dealt with them so forgive if I am a little off). But it made a grinding kind of sound when it started happening, and then the traction control light would start to shine

Old 06-05-2013, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by ohara
It could be a loose wire connected to your abs wheel speed sensor. It was happening to mine in a very similar fashion, when turning the wheels left and upon take off. I found that the wires had corroded, as they are placed in a less than ideal position, and when you turn the wheels they are pulled along with and run over top of the front axles (I believe it has been a while since I've dealt with them so forgive if I am a little off). But it made a grinding kind of sound when it started happening, and then the traction control light would start to shine

I second loose wire. I had the same problem with my car and it caused me to end up running a stop sign. Luckily nobody was coming but it scared me enough that I pulled into a parking lot and yanked the abs fuse. To this day I have not put that fuse back in. Car runs fine no problem. Just dont have abs anymore which to me is no problem because the first car I had was a 78 station wagon with no abs and I had to drive it in the snow so I was used to that.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by burgundybullet
I second loose wire. I had the same problem with my car and it caused me to end up running a stop sign. Luckily nobody was coming but it scared me enough that I pulled into a parking lot and yanked the abs fuse. To this day I have not put that fuse back in. Car runs fine no problem. Just dont have abs anymore which to me is no problem because the first car I had was a 78 station wagon with no abs and I had to drive it in the snow so I was used to that.

i might just have to do the same thing. thanks for the idea

Old 08-13-2013, 10:25 PM
Default Inspection

Will it pass inspection with the fuse pulled?

Old 08-14-2013, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by ETexasTwister
Will it pass inspection with the fuse pulled?
I don't have to deal with inspections so I couldn't say for sure. I know that the ABS and TRAC control lights will always stay on if you do so you may get into trouble for non functioning equipment or something like that.