Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Traction Control and ABS motor problem on dry pavement??

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 10:37 PM
Default Traction Control and ABS motor problem on dry pavement??

OK.....this is what happens 02 SS. A few times when I'm in reverse coming out of driveway or parking stop, I stop put it in forward go to take off and the traction control lights up (not the trac off) and you can hear the ABS motor. When this happens I let off the gas and it goes away. This happen about three times within 3-4 months. I'm just trying to get it fixed before my extended warrenty runs out. Also I am on dry pavement and I am not spinning tires out. Normal driving. Anyone have this problem or Know what could be causing it. The dealer wants me to see if it happens more often, and before the warrenty runs out they will put some$800 part, I forgot what they said, some ECM or something not sure. Any help?? Dave

Old 05-06-2006, 12:01 AM
Default RE: Traction Control and ABS motor problem on dry pavement??

I have not seen this one in a while, if memory serves me, there is a TCS solenoid on the trans than is/has been known to cause this type of trans problem. If it's under warranty I would get it in there. From what I understand it's a cheap part but hell to get at.

Old 05-17-2006, 07:34 PM

Have someone check the ABS codes. Good possibility you have a bad hub bearing (abs sensor is built into the bearing). I have seen the same thing you describe in the shop quite a few times.

Old 05-20-2006, 10:56 AM

Well, Now the Trac off and the ABS light comes on, with SERVIVE TRACTION SYSTEM on the messsage senter. I'm takeing it in today. Dave

Old 05-21-2006, 07:11 PM

Well, They seem they still cant find any codes. So they are replacing some computer and wire harness(2), per some bulletin. I hope this helps. I'll keep you updated. Dave

Old 05-22-2006, 05:16 AM

Took a while to find the problem on my 00 grand am also. The computer dosen't store memory codes for abs problems. If the lights aren't on, the scanner won't tell you anything. Might want to make sure they are hooking up the scanner with the lights on and the car still running. They could just leave the scanner hooked up and take it for a drive till the problem occurs again. The bulletin they are reffering to is a TSB (technical service bulletin) which could be your problem. Just trying to help you out. Hard enough sometimes to diagnos a problem with the car in front of you, let alone over the computer.

Old 05-22-2006, 06:57 AM

Thanks, They were leaving the computer hooked up while driving. Doesnt never act up for them. Go figure. Just tring to get problem fix before ext. warrenty runs out. We'll see.

Old 05-22-2006, 05:49 PM

Cool. Was hoping they weren't feeding you a line of b.s. and trying to take your money. I've been in the auto repair industry for about 18 years and have seen a lot of people get taken over the years. Hope you get it taken care of!

Old 05-28-2006, 06:32 PM

ORIGINAL: bigblok75
The computer dosen't store memory codes for abs problems. If the lights aren't on, the scanner won't tell you anything. Might want to make sure they are hooking up the scanner with the lights on and the car still running. They could just leave the scanner hooked up and take it for a drive till the problem occurs again.
Not true. Many vehicles have computers able to read and store diagnostic trouble codes for ABS systems and keep them in memory.

Sometimes a problem can occur and the MIL(or check engine light) can come on and turn right back off. The DTC will be stored in the computer's memory bank. When you use a DTC scan tool. There is an option(on most scanners) that let you read "DTC memory".

A car's computer monitors whats happening with your vehicle when the engine is running. If there is a code set, then sometimes the ECU will erase it by itself after a certain number of drive cycles have occured and the problem has been taken care of. One example of this is if you drive with a loose gas cap the computer reads this as lower than normal vapor pressure in the gas tank/lines, it will set a code letting you know that there is a leak in the vapor(emmisions) system. You notice the check engine light but you ignore it. After filling up with gas a few days later, you actually put the cap on right this time. Now pressure is able to create(normal). After a few drive cycles, the ECU will notice that the problem is no longer existant and will erase the code and turn off the check engine light. Sometimes it doesnt turn it off, sometimes it will just stay there until someone erases the code.

Old 05-29-2006, 03:25 AM

ORIGINAL: erik2282

ORIGINAL: bigblok75
The computer dosen't store memory codes for abs problems. If the lights aren't on, the scanner won't tell you anything. Might want to make sure they are hooking up the scanner with the lights on and the car still running. They could just leave the scanner hooked up and take it for a drive till the problem occurs again.
Not true. Many vehicles have computers able to read and store diagnostic trouble codes for ABS systems and keep them in memory.

Sometimes a problem can occur and the MIL(or check engine light) can come on and turn right back off. The DTC will be stored in the computer's memory bank. When you use a DTC scan tool. There is an option(on most scanners) that let you read "DTC memory".

A car's computer monitors whats happening with your vehicle when the engine is running. If there is a code set, then sometimes the ECU will erase it by itself after a certain number of drive cycles have occured and the problem has been taken care of. One example of this is if you drive with a loose gas cap the computer reads this as lower than normal vapor pressure in the gas tank/lines, it will set a code letting you know that there is a leak in the vapor(emmisions) system. You notice the check engine light but you ignore it. After filling up with gas a few days later, you actually put the cap on right this time. Now pressure is able to create(normal). After a few drive cycles, the ECU will notice that the problem is no longer existant and will erase the code and turn off the check engine light. Sometimes it doesnt turn it off, sometimes it will just stay there until someone erases the code.

Sorry, I should have been more detailed. The shop I work at has a snap on modis scanner and it will not retrieve the codes on most gm vehicles unless the light is on. Sometimes I get wrapped up in my surroundings and forget that there is better equipment out there. [sm=bustedsign.gif]

Quick Reply: Traction Control and ABS motor problem on dry pavement??