Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

TPS Throtle Position Sensor help

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 04:06 PM
Default TPS Throtle Position Sensor help

Hey, I was hoping some one could help me find the tps on my 03 Monte LS...

My rpm's are going crazy...while driving normalythe tachrandomly jumps up like 1000-3000 rpm and the car just wants to take off...its getting worse(I almost rear ended someone on the highway)
I am constantly on my brakes...when I shift it into neutral it jumps even higher (it idles at nearly 4000 rpm)

But its not all the time...it happened afew weeks couple months ago then went away for a while now its back...if I shut off my car it is fine for a while...then kicks in again..its very random.

2003 Monte LS with 120,000 highway miles...hot and cold weather...I have kept up with the servicing...done no mods to it...does it sound like a bad tps?

Where is it so I can replace it...

Thanks

Old 03-25-2007, 04:50 PM
Default RE: TPS Throtle Position Sensor help

First off, Is the check engine light on

If not it might not be your TPS
It might be the intake manifold gasket

Old 03-25-2007, 07:40 PM

Check engine light has never come on...

If it was the gasket...wouldnt this problem occur all the time, not randomly...I am hoping its not that...

Old 03-25-2007, 08:25 PM

Also check you vaccum hose at the brake booster. Pull the plug out of the booster and plug the end of it. Then start the car and see if it idles like it should.

Check for any type of vaccum leak.

If the TPS was bad it should tragger a light

Old 03-26-2007, 03:20 AM

i'd be thinkin vacuum leak too. cant find a leak? try to find someone with a scan tool and see what your fuel trims are at to see if it's adding fuel (indicating vacuum leak) if not.... i dunno maybe dropping cam/crank sensor signal..just guessin though

recall any work done on the car around the time you first noticed it?

Old 03-26-2007, 06:53 PM

No I havnt had any work on it then...the only thing I remember is that I used a bottle of fuel injector cleaner I won at a local car wash...that was around the same time?

I havnt used any since

Old 07-24-2013, 04:09 AM

hey, old post but caught my attention, so i have been trying to figure out whats going on with my start up. everytime i start the car it take a while keeps cranking.. what i noticed in the morning when cold after finally getting it to start(usually 5-8 seconds) and shut it off after a few seconds, i would attempt to restart the car after waiting 10 min or so and shell start right up..if the car is hot it will be slow to start.

i changed throtle body, iac, maf, ignition coil module, 1 ignition coil (seen it was cracked),tune up,fuel filter was done bout 2 years and nothing.
battery tested good, alternator good..

someone recommended change the tps or starter..any help would greatly be appreciated
thanks!