Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

stock RKE module ?

Old 03-23-2013, 04:51 PM
Question stock RKE module ?

ok so ive got a 96 monte carlo Z34, and i was just about to install an aftermarket remote keyless entry/security system(freedom 500) when i though before going threw all this i better call the dealer and have the VIN ran to see what RPOs it has, this confirmed i do infact have RPO-AU0 for keyless entry, then to double check i went to other website and came up with the same list of RPOs.....this is great!!!

i do have an aftermarket FOB for the Freedom 500 that accepts 16 diff transmitter combos/codes.

so my question is where is the RKE located in a 96 monte?

some people have been telling me its inside the stock radio BUT when i installed the aftermarket headunit there was no left over wiring so that basiclly rules that out, now im wondering where the module is? ive been searching the trunk area for the reprograming wire that your supposed to ground but havent found it yet

but also ive been told by the dealer i need to find the module to get the code off it so i know which FOB to order incase my aftermarket one doesnt program to it(he wouldnt tell me where it is).....anyone know where the RKE module is?

meanwhile ill keep searching for the program wire(supposed to be by antenna inside trunk but isnt)

Old 03-23-2013, 05:48 PM

pop the hood see if it's there

Old 03-23-2013, 09:04 PM

well i never found the module but i did find the re-programing wire tucked were i couldnt see it by the antenna in the trunk....

i grounded the wire while pressing the lock, unlock, and trunk button on the new aftermarket FOB, now once grounded all the locks operated and the trunk release operated but the remote did not work, the remote does have good batterys and the light flashes on the FOB when i press the buttons but it must not be compatable with the stock RKE

either i did the procedure wrong or i need to buy the stock remote and try it again

Old 03-23-2013, 10:15 PM

ok so i found out aftermarket key FOBs dont work on the stock unit........

my next question if anyone can answer this is: does the stock 96 monte remote keyless entry also have a car alarm? like when you press the lock or unlock button does it beep the horn and flash the lights?

if not i already have the freedom 500 system ready to install with all the bells and whistles/relays/siren you name it, but it would be sooooo much easier to install if i knew where the RKE module is cause i can use some of the existing wires from that otherwise i already have the wiring diagrams and would just have to do some extra wiring