Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Starts but won't stay running

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 03:17 PM
Default Starts but won't stay running

2000 Monte Carlo SS with the 3.8 will start and idle and stay running when I shift into reverse or drive,until I accelerate.at which point it dies,every time. When in park or neutral and I depress the pedal it sounds like it is sucking air then dies . Always restarts but continues to do the same. I have unplugged MAF,IAC, IAT.all at different times. They all change the idle and the way it runs in there own way. The only maintenance I have done recently is changing the fuel filter. I did that only because it hadn't been done since I bought the car three years ago. Any hints,tips or good advice will help. If anyone needs more info I will be happy to provide it

Old 01-19-2017, 03:54 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would start with cleaning the IAC, but it usually needs to be replaced if mileage is high.
I would also clean the MAF with MAF cleaner, then the throttle body. Scan for codes.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

A couple of things to check
1. is Vacuum line could be off or broken. Check the drivers side engine area going to the firewall for this line, goes towards the but not into the master cylinder for brakes.
2. Could be the Catalectic Converter is bad and they will fill with its own packing.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:54 PM

Will check on these things in morning and grab a can afford cleaner and let everyone know how it works out..Thank you for your quick response!

Old 01-20-2017, 06:21 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I was going to agree with a plugged converter/ exhaust. Pretty hard to clean out a converter on a car that won't run, but there is a product called "CataClean" by Mr. Gasket that actually works. You have to be able to take it for a drive though