Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Significant difference between 3.5 and 3.9?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 08:53 PM
Default Significant difference between 3.5 and 3.9?

Hello everybody, I'm new and I've got a question:

I'm currently driving a 1997 Chevy Camaro 3.8 with 97,xxx miles. I'm very unhappy with the gas mileage; I can only manage to get about 20 mpg around town, and that is if I drive it like an old man. So, I'm looking to get a car that is at least slightly more fuel efficient. I would like to get 25 mpg around town, or close to it. My question is this: will I notice a big difference between the gas mileage I get with a 3.5 vs. a 3.9 Monte Carlos? I know there is a significant difference in horsepower between the two (211 vs. 242, I believe), but will there be a big change in gas mileage? My dad has a 3.5 Impala and it seems fairly quick but if the mpg is similar, I'd rather have the extra 31 horses.

So what do you think?

Should I go with the 3.5 or the 3.9?

Thanks,
Frank

PS: I'm looking at used 06's, if it makes any difference.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:00 PM
Default RE: Significant difference between 3.5 and 3.9?

Well, lemme put it this way, long term driving I'm seeing an average of 23 mpg, and I have the 3.9 engine. I have a K&N air filter, which is supposed to help mileage, and keep my tire pressure on the high side (42 lbs on the stock tires that say max is 44)

But, I am very heavy on the throttle, very often. I can't help but goose it often, those 242 HP are just TO MUCH FUN!

Going 55, and not using the throttle hardly ever, I've seen mileage as good as 30 all highway.

If I take it easy during the week, I can see 25 mpg, and I drive about 22 miles to work, then back, each day. Premium helps too.

Trust me dude, if you like performance... then get the 3.9

My 95 beretta had 120 hp and got like 30 mpg (back when it didn't matter)

My 2003 LS had 180 hp and got like 26 mpg.

My current 2006 3LT had 242 hp, and gets like 22 when I'm heavy on the throttle.

Bottom line? if I could, I would give up 4 MPG for another 60 hp any day of the month! I'd probably have to get another job, but i'd do it in a heartbeat.

Plus, with the 3.9 you are getting a very special car. It's a car and engine package that was only in existence for one year! The new impalas that have the 3.9 DOD (displacement on demand) have only 230 horse. Not to mention the Monte's are being discontinued.... if any time was the perfect time, it'd be now.

Not that the 3.5 is bad! It's a good engine, and has a LOT of the same technology (80% identical parts) it's still a naturally balanced 60 degree V6 (meaning no balance shafts to turn, or take up space, or cost more). It has a respectable 211 hp (the base 6cyl stang has only 200) and it has the Variable Valve Timing technology just like the 3.9, allthough it doesn't get the Variable Intake.

I was thinking of something with similar or better mileage, but in the end the performance, sound, and STYLE of my 06 3LT sold me from the moment I saw it.I basically bought the car before I even drove it. I knew what was under the hood, without looking at the sticker. I'm pretty sure if it has the dual exhaust and race inspired spoiler, and the badging doesn't say LTZ or SS, it's a 3LT.

Sorry for my long-winded post, but I just love this car... every morning turning it on is a joy, and makes the day that much better.

Old 06-22-2007, 04:56 AM

Mike, Should I ask, if your like your Monte Carlo LT3 ? Super Write up/Review ofyour Monte Carlo 3.9 L 242 HP. Thanks. Thanks for Sharing with the Members & Good Luck in the MOTM Contest

Last edited by Space; 12-09-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:42 PM

Please! Take it from someone who drives a 3.5L - get a 3.9!!!!! I wish I could have gotten a 3.9L when I bought my car, but my budget would not allow it. Hindsight is 20/20 - I know that you will be happier with a 3.9 even though it may used a nominal amount more gas.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:25 PM

I have the 3.5, and have driven the 3.9 and 5.3. And honeslty I think the 3.5 is the better of the two V6 engines. Why? Well Everyone is going to have an opinion, but here is my logic:

The 3.5L is more of a mainstream engine. The 3.5 is used in far more cars then the 3.9l hence aftermarket options should come out faster. Remember the 3.9l was only used i the monte for one year, this makes monte specific aftermarket products even less availible. Not to mention junkyard parts 10 years down the road.

3.5L uses less fuel. Yes I realise that for .4L of displacement you get more power. However most of us will admit that our cars spend the portion of the day not at wide open throttle

Now the 3.9L is a great engine, good enough to be the sole engine for the malibu SS, and if maintained well this is going to be a rarity 10 years down the road and should help the resale value as the monte only had it for one year.

I guess it just depends on your pritorities. Personally. I love my 3.5L, and Im happier that I chose it over the 3.9. (Really tho, I shoulda got the 5.3! lol)

Old 06-22-2007, 06:45 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: HyperFox

I have the 3.5, and have driven the 3.9 and 5.3. And honeslty I think the 3.5 is the better of the two V6 engines. Why? Well Everyone is going to have an opinion, but here is my logic:

The 3.5L is more of a mainstream engine. The 3.5 is used in far more cars then the 3.9l hence aftermarket options should come out faster. Remember the 3.9l was only used i the monte for one year, this makes monte specific aftermarket products even less availible. Not to mention junkyard parts 10 years down the road.

3.5L uses less fuel. Yes I realise that for .4L of displacement you get more power. However most of us will admit that our cars spend the portion of the day not at wide open throttle

Now the 3.9L is a great engine, good enough to be the sole engine for the malibu SS, and if maintained well this is going to be a rarity 10 years down the road and should help the resale value as the monte only had it for one year.

I guess it just depends on your pritorities. Personally. I love my 3.5L, and Im happier that I chose it over the 3.9. (Really tho, I shoulda got the 5.3! lol)
I beg to differ. I see the 3.9 offered in more cars and vans than the 3.5 (as of 2006 and above).

Old 06-22-2007, 06:45 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Sorry, let me add, GM cars and vans.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:02 PM

Below is a great review on all 2006 Monte Carlo's[:-]

INFOR ON THE 2006 MONTE CARLO: The only year the 3.9L V-6 was installed in the Monte

2006 MONTE CARLO: A NEW LOOK FOR AN ON-TRACK WINNER
The aggressively styled 2006 Chevy Monte Carlo heats up the sizzling mid-car segment with enhanced premium-quality features, racing-inspired styling, a new family of powerful engines, as well as thoughtful attention to detail. A new look for the front and rear fascias €“ including bold headlamps and taillamps €“ is complemented by revised suspension systems that deliver comfortable, quiet and more confident ride and handling characteristics. These new ingredients improve on an already popular recipe for driving satisfaction.

Monte Carlo draws on a rich NASCAR stock car racing legacy €“ the most successful nameplate in the sport€™s history €“ to offer one of the industry€™s only true midsize personal coupes. The vehicle has remained true to the roots of style and performance established at its introduction in 1970.

€œFor €™06, Monte Carlo delivers more of the performance and style demanded by customers, but with an increased emphasis on comfort, roominess and driving manners,€ said Brent Dewar, General Motors North America vice president of marketing and advertising . €œWe fine-tuned the details to deliver a value-driven vehicle that delivers unexpected refinement.€

A new family of premium-feature V-6 engines is available in LS, LT and LTZ models, including a 211-horsepower (157 kw) 3500 3.5L V-6 and an available 3900 3.9L V-6 that uses variable valve timing and variable intake technology to help deliver 242 horsepower (180 kw) and 242 lb.-ft. (328 Nm) of torque.* The muscular Monte Carlo SS has a new 5.3L small-block V-8 that€™s good for 303 horsepower (226 kw) and 323 lb.-ft. (438 Nm) of torque. The 5.3L V-8 uses Displacement on Demand technology to regulate between eight-cylinder and four-cylinder operation, providing up to 8 percent improved fuel economy in certain driving conditions.

All engines are matched to the Hydra-Matic 4T65-E four-speed automatic transmission. This smooth shifting transmission is renowned for its durability and strength with high-torque engines. The version mated with the 5.3L V-8 is enhanced to match the engine€™s increased torque output.

Highlights for the 2006 Monte Carlo include:

All-new family of 3.5L and 3.9L V-6 engines in LS, LT and LTZ models
Standard 5.3L small-block V-8 with Displacement on Demand technology in SS model
Hydra-Matic 4T65-E four-speed automatic transmission mated to all engines; enhanced version used with 5.3L V-8
Modified exterior styling with bold headlamps and taillamps
Retuned suspensions with wider front track
New family of 16-, 17- and 18-inch wheels and tires
Enhanced ABS and traction control
Revised interior with high-quality attention to detail, including improved seat upholstery stitching, low-gloss IP components and jewel-like IP details
High-quality Nuance Sandstone leather seating (available)
New family of audio systems
Standard dual-stage frontal air bags
Available side seat-mounted air bags for front passengers ( Monte Carlo )
Factory-installed remote vehicle starter available
Standard OnStar
Design details

Monte Carlo has a revised look, both inside and out. The exterior features large headlamps that have a premium, jeweled appearance with three independent lighting units. These details complement other high-quality attributes to provide an overall feeling of solidity. Also, new, flat-blade windshield wipers are used to provide consistent pressure on the glass, which helps eliminate streaking and wind noise. All models receive a sporty rear spoiler.

The Monte Carlo SS has a dis

Last edited by Space; 12-09-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:08 PM

SolaraSlayer,

Im just betting that a lot of fleet/rental agencies will select the 3.5 litre due to the lower cost. Mind you, that all depends on what trim levels they order. As for the amount of vehicles, you are abseloutely correct. When you add in the GM minivans there are slightly more models using the 3.9. Well.. At least if the motor goes in the LT3's all ya gotta do is find a late model minivan.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:06 AM

I'd recommend the 3.9. Typically the larger engines have stronger parts and when you consider they move the same load (car) the engine should last longer.

Quick Reply: Significant difference between 3.5 and 3.9?