Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Opinion Needed: Should I changed my transmission fluid?

Old 02-01-2015, 03:33 AM

Thanks Zippy!!

Old 02-01-2015, 11:50 AM

Thanks JC I live in south jersey, I'll still keep that in mind though if I need a full rebuild.

@Zippy I just called the tranny shop they're going to do a pan drop fluid filter change. I'll definitely talk to him about my fluid and additive options. I'm writing down your recommendations to take with me. He's also going to be doing an electronics scan to see if anything turns up for that 2-3 shift lag. Hopefully this is a solenoid or pcs problem and not mechanical damage. I'll update saturday after my appointment

Old 02-01-2015, 12:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well if you are ever in need of a Good Mechanic I know of 2. One in Brick and one in Point Pleasant.
I use to live in Jackson, and then Lakewood before I moved up to Garfield.
I hope it turns out to be an easy and inexpensive repair for you!

Old 02-01-2015, 12:47 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Geez, here I am odd man out again...

There really is no reason to use Dex VI in a used transmission. VI has a lighter viscosity versus III. This is because of tighter tolerances in the newer transmissions ('06 and newer) and it reduces parasitic drag which theoretically improves mileage, It also contains additional cleaning agents which contradicts the idea of 'leaving sludge in the transmission to help the friction discs grab better'. In a fresh tranny it is beneficial, but a waste of money for a tranny on its last leg.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:09 AM

This is my experience with Various trans fluids and additives. However, since that write up I did start to experience some slippage at which time i put in a bottle of Lucas trans fluid. That helped but didn't solve the problem completely. So at the recommendation of Lucas (as per on the bottle), I added a second bottle. There is still the very occasional split second slip upon take off and I feel like a third bottle will take care of that but I haven't added it yet. I do feel that all of the additive could have been avoided by never having used the Dexron VI, in the first place. It ended up mixing with the existing fluid and is still present since the torque converters fluid cannot be drained.
The line below is a link to it.

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/ge...age-atf-51210/

Last edited by el pachuco; 02-02-2015 at 02:17 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:57 AM
Old 02-02-2015, 10:58 AM

Will a tranny shop let me bring my own fluids? Because I'll bring my own stuff if thats the case

Old 02-02-2015, 06:08 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by 03montenj
Will a tranny shop let me bring my own fluids? Because I'll bring my own stuff if thats the case

Any reputable (certified) shop will not install a customer's fluid brought in due to liability issues. You might find a shop to do it, but personally I would not trust their work.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
Any reputable (certified) shop will not install a customer's fluid brought in due to liability issues. You might find a shop to do it, but personally I would not trust their work.
Even if they do use fluid you provide, odds are they are still going to bill you for their fluid regardless.... Food for thought.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:43 PM

You guys are right. Talked to the mechanic today. He will not go away from manufactures specifications. So I'm gonna be stuck with Dextron 3. Maybe I'll buy the lubegard and put it in myself after I get the change. He also wants to scan and test drive the car. So we'll see what happens.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Opinion Needed: Should I changed my transmission fluid?