Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Service Vehicle Soon light on

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 02:42 PM
Default Service Vehicle Soon light on

My engine light had been coming on/off until I changed the Mass Air Flow sensor. After that was done in July, the engine light has stayed on constantly.

This morning as I was driving home, the light started blinking on and off intermittently. I just got home again and the light is still blinking on/off but this time something weird happened. As I'm pulling out of the shopping center the dinger bell went off, I looked at the dash and it said my trunk was open. I have NOT had my trunk open in over a week. The keys were in the ignition and I was driving so there was no way I could have accidentally hit the button on the remote to open the trunk.

I'm at a loss as to what is going on with the light and even where to begin to start looking. Any suggestions would be great!!

Thank you for your time.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:29 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think that your best bet would be to go to an autoparts store near you (e.g. Pep Boys, AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts). They should be able to tell you exactly whats going on with the check engine light. After you get THAT info, the people on here will have a MUCH better chance of helping you out. Good luck.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:31 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

A flashing SES usually indicates a misfire. As for the trunk light, it could be one of three things IMO.

1) BCM going bad
2) Neutral safety switch going bad
3) Alternator/battery/loose ground

Old 10-14-2010, 10:42 PM

The trunk thing might have been triggered by bumps.
Mine does that when i am driving a bit fast over the speed bumps in my apt. complex, and only when i go through them fast, hasn't done it anywhere else.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:17 AM

Now is the the check engine light on or service vehicle soon light, because they are 2 different lights. The check engine light is for engine and emissions related stuff while the service vehicle soon is for body and chassis related stuff.

Auto zone will be able to give you the codes for a CEL but not for a service vehicle light, you'll need a tech 2 for that

Old 10-15-2010, 09:02 AM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Good point labnjab. I hadn't thought of that. It just seems to work better if people that are having problems KNOW exactly what the problems are before asking for help.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:54 AM

I'm thinking it may be the service vehicle soon light and it could be related to why the trunk opened by itself, but you'll have to have it scanned to find out

Old 10-15-2010, 09:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

6th gens have a CEL and a SES light?

Old 10-17-2010, 09:02 PM

Ok, I went today and had the light ran at Advance Auto. Nothing came back. The guy said there is no code, its says Passed. I made him recheck it. And again, nothing showed up. It is the Service Vehicle Soon light.

Thank you labnjab for your answer. I did not know you had to use two different scanners for that. Heck, I never knew there were different lights that could come on.

MillerMonteSS....I asked the question just in general. I DO understand that you have to have it scanned for a code and that you should have that info before posting but I thought I would just throw it out there until I had the chance to have it done.

Thanks!

Last edited by ChevyChick07; 10-17-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:13 AM

The only way to scan the SVS light is with the tech 2, or a decent generic scanner, like the snap-on solus, or hanatech

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
6th gens have a CEL and a SES light?
Yes, the check engine has its own icon while the SVS light shows up in the DIC

Quick Reply: Service Vehicle Soon light on