Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Service Vehicle Soon - 2001 SS - 93000 miles

Old 10-21-2007, 11:22 AM
Default RE: Service Vehicle Soon - 2001 SS - 93000 miles

the 'service vehicle soon' light is really nothing like the 'service engine soon' light. the 'service engine soon' light is used for anything that could affect emmisions, such as gas cap or plugs. the 'service vehicle soon' light deals with things like DRL's, headlights in my experience but i also think they can be related to radio/hvac/onstar/ etc.... and unless you have a headlight out, i'm guessing you'll need a tech2 to find the problem.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:09 AM
Default RE: Service Vehicle Soon - 2001 SS - 93000 miles

ORIGINAL: 2000LS

the 'service vehicle soon' light is really nothing like the 'service engine soon' light. the 'service engine soon' light is used for anything that could affect emmisions, such as gas cap or plugs. the 'service vehicle soon' light deals with things like DRL's, headlights in my experience but i also think they can be related to radio/hvac/onstar/ etc.... and unless you have a headlight out, i'm guessing you'll need a tech2 to find the problem.
Thanks, this helps alot. Now my question is, what would cause this light to come on intermittantly? I think I will start checking all the lamps 1st. If I can't figure that out I will try to find someone with a Tech2.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:13 PM

I've had this same problem for years. I'm starting to see some chatter on the net about this being a delayed response by the BCM to the replacement of the OEM stereo with an aftermarket one. In your case however "intermittent" is the key word here so this may not apply but either way I have a theory on this:
Of course replacing the BCM should fix it since part of the BCM replacement procedure entails the "re-learning" of the theft deterrent system. You would think it would be caught during reprogramming BEFORE they replace the BCM but since the error is caused by a missing component that according to your VIN and Point of Sale and Option Configuration data the stereo "should" be there. The BCM then gets replaced but the problem still exists. That's when the tech discovers that all he had to do was delete the stereo option in the BCM configuration. Now a prudent tech would put the original BCM back in and reprogram it without the stereo in the configuration. In such cases the tech would then have to report to their service manager that they wrongly replaced a $600 electrical non-restockable part that took hours to replace and was a total pain to get to. so instead of your bill being $65 for reprogramming it's now $665. You're none the wiser because it's fixed.
Just a theory but I'd like to see how many people with this problem still have the OEM stereo. Hmmmm

Old 07-16-2013, 05:08 PM

Mine is on all the time but think it is cause my airbag light is on. I had an accident and the pass bag deployed but not the drivers. Must be a fault with it. I'd like to shut the message center off.