Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Service Traction Systems

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 07:55 AM
Default Service Traction Systems

My Service traction light is coming on everytime I hit the brakes or accellerate off of a stop. Then it goes off again. Any ideas? The ABS light is coming on too, as well as the traction control light.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:07 AM
Default RE: Service Traction Systems

Hi again Anthony,
Have you checked your brake fluid ?
Low fluid will set `off the light.
Check it on level ground. If it's `ok, I would have your
wheel ABS sensor's checked.
It's fun to go `fast, but you got 2 be able to stop.
How many miles are on your 05LT ?
Are you still under warranty ?
Keep us updated, and post when you find out what the
problem was that caused the light.
Good Luck, `Space

Old 01-15-2008, 08:20 AM

I got 50K on my MC, I will check the fluid, I can't imagine that it would be low as I check it periodically. Where can I get the Sensors checked?

Old 01-15-2008, 08:43 AM

[align=center]
ORIGINAL: White05LT

I got 50K on my MC, I will check the fluid, I can't imagine that it would be low as I check it periodically. Where can I get the Sensors checked?
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Hi Anthony, I would have a certified mechanic check your [/align][align=center]system. It pays to find a good shop, or dealer that you can[/align][align=center]trust. Good Luck.[/align][align=center]I'm posted the below for you and other member's.[/align][align=center]I hope it helps someone.[/align]

The Tools That Keep Brake Service Fast & Profitable
[align=center]By Larry Carley, Technical Editor [/align][center]
[b]Brake work is one area that continues to show steady growth in the aftermarket. Obviously, brakes are an essential safety item on every vehicle - you can’t stop without them! But the brakes wear every time they are applied and eventually wear out or develop problems that interfere with the safe operation of the vehicle.
Linings wear down and have to be replaced. Rotors and drums wear unevenly, warp and go out-of-round requiring them to be resurfaced or replaced. Hydraulic components such as the calipers, wheel cylinders and master cylinders can develop leaks and other problems that require these components to be rebuilt or replaced. The same goes for steel brake lines, rubber brake hoses, brake hardware, self-adjusters and parking brakes. Nor is the ABS system immune to wear and corrosion. Add it all up and it equals a tremendous service opportunity for brake repair work - provided you have the right tools and equipment.
Diagnostic Tools
On most ABS-equipped vehicles, you’ll need a scan tool to access and diagnose the ABS system if a vehicle has an ABS-related brake problem. But not just any scan tool will do. It has to have the correct software and connector to communicate with the ABS module. Some general purpose scan tools have add-on modules or memory chips that add ABS capability, while others (usually the more expensive top-of-the-line models) come with the ABS software as part of the package. Some equipment manufacturers even make dedicated scan tools that are designed just for ABS work.
In addition to diagnostics, an ABS-capable scan tool may also be needed to bleed certain ABS systems if air has gotten inside the ABS modular assembly. On General Motors vehicles equipped with Delco VI or Delphi 7 ABS systems, you need a scan tool to cycle the ABS unit. The same goes for vehicles equipped with Bosch 5 ABS and Teves Mark 20 ABS systems.
Many ABS faults are electrical and require the use of a DVOM (digital volt ohm meter) or multimeter to check circuit continuity, resistance or voltage. Measuring resistance, for example, is a good way to check a suspicious wheel speed sensor. A circuit continuity tester or logic probe also is useful for checking wiring faults. For more advanced ABS diagnostics, a digital oscilloscope (DSO) or graphing multimeter may be useful for observing wheel speed sensor outputs as a waveform.
For troubleshooting brake hydraulic problems, a set of high pressure gauges is essential. By "T"-ing gauges into brake lines, you can read pressure differentials to check brake balance, the operation of proportioning valves and load-sensing valves.
One company makes a set of hydraulic gauges with load cells that can be easily installed in place of the brake pads in each caliper. The gauges show how much pressure is being applied when the brake pedal is depressed. This can be used to check the operation of the calipers, mas

Old 01-15-2008, 10:32 AM

I believe I have solved the problem. I found a loose ground wire on the PCM Bracket, connecting to the body. Turns out this is the ground for the Brake Pressure Module. I reattached this ground to the engine as it looked like the thread in the hole was stripped and the lights went away. I took it for a short drive around the parking lot and it seemed to work. I'll take it on a test drive during lunch.Sounds promising.

Just so everyone knows on the 2005 that ground that connects to the PCM bracket is for the Brake Pressure Module. Not sure on the 2000-2004. May wanna check if you're curious.

More to come...

-Ant

Old 02-16-2008, 04:26 PM

Hello, i am new here and so far have been impressed with the MCF. When I start my 2005 LS sometimes the ABS and TRAC OFF lights come on as well as the message center says SERVICE TRACTION SYSTEM. What up with that? Any ideas? Thanks

[IMG]local://upfiles/3729/F191A371932F4465A040235273B3F11E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-16-2008, 04:57 PM

You may have abs or speed sensors that have gone bad. My fiances 01 grand am needed both replaced up front. Those lights lit up and sometimes the abs would come while you were driving and not braking. Not sure what the job entails she took it to a garage to have it fixed.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:27 AM

The same happened to my 2005. It turned out to be a defective sensor in the rear hub. Dealer replaced it and that fixed the problem.