Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

"Service Traction System," "Trac Off," What's going on?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 10:42 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by milrlyt
EDIT: now that I think about it, this started possibly a few weeks after I hit a very large puddle of standing water (the tires were nearly entirely submerged). Do you think... maybe...?
Yes, sometimes you just need to unplug it and let the water out.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:38 PM
1 Year Member

Well, the only problem with that is it was back in September when I hit it. If anything it would have evaporated by now, but left it permanently damaged. Although if that was the case then why does it only happen occasionally...

Old 01-23-2012, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by jim1405
I went up to maybe 10" before the harness became part of the larger bundle of wires in front of the engine. Seems like most of the harness problems were closer to the control arm and wheel where it gets flexed more unless it was damaged by debris. I wrapped my splice in electrical tape and then coated that with some silicone sealant and it still looks intact after about 2 years.
I ordered the Dorman brand harness. It was plenty long and also came with the plastic clips to fasten it to the frame and control arm. I think it also came with the butt connectors too. If you order it through Rockauto.com search for my previous posts. There is a code for a 5% discount for online orders that is good until February something. Hope this turns out to be the problem. Aside from cleaning this is the cheapest fix for these issues.

Jacking up one side of the front and removing the tire gave me enough room to get the job done pretty easily.
I ended up splicing mine right after the clip on the control arm that is next to the subframe. I left like 10 inches of slack inbetween the last clip and speed sensor plug.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:07 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
Default trac off

ok so i have a 2002 monte carlo and i live in minnesota so lately the sand and snow on the road have been terrible and my car has low profile tires on it so it sits closer to the ground than it should. last week every thing froze and all of the roads were soakend with salt and sand and after school as i was pulling out the service traction light stayed on and so i shut my car off and it was off for maybe five minutes. that was a week ago and now it does that every morning. does anybody have any idea.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:12 PM

15 Year Member

Wheel hub assembly may be going bad, the bad weather might have affected the sensor too. There is a sensor on every rim, so we can't tell you which one to check.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:46 PM

Mine does this about once every week or two. How hard is it to change the hubs?

Old 01-26-2012, 05:58 PM

15 Year Member

I have a thread in the how-to section for 6th Gens

Old 01-27-2012, 02:00 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

well in the last few days have made the roads very bad but now this morning it was freezing outside and it didnt come on

Old 02-03-2012, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by jim1405
I went up to maybe 10" before the harness became part of the larger bundle of wires in front of the engine. Seems like most of the harness problems were closer to the control arm and wheel where it gets flexed more unless it was damaged by debris. I wrapped my splice in electrical tape and then coated that with some silicone sealant and it still looks intact after about 2 years.
I ordered the Dorman brand harness. It was plenty long and also came with the plastic clips to fasten it to the frame and control arm. I think it also came with the butt connectors too. If you order it through Rockauto.com search for my previous posts. There is a code for a 5% discount for online orders that is good until February something. Hope this turns out to be the problem. Aside from cleaning this is the cheapest fix for these issues.

Jacking up one side of the front and removing the tire gave me enough room to get the job done pretty easily.

I plan on changing mine before I replace the hub assembly

Old 02-04-2012, 07:03 AM

I would guess that it is the front left tire side work in a parts store and that is the most common one sold.Talked to a gm mechanic he said that it is most likely a break in the wire .Gm makes a repair kit to fix it and it is about 73 bucks but if you get the numbers you can get it cheaper at a parts store. Also see if there is a recall on this part and get it done for zip

Quick Reply: "Service Traction System," "Trac Off," What's going on?