Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Service Traction Light and ABS and Traction off Lights came on. WHY??

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 04:46 PM
1 Year Member
Default Service Traction Light and ABS and Traction off Lights came on. WHY??

Today I was driving around and all of a sudden 3 OBD lights came on The service trac control Light came on and The traction Off Light was on and the ABS light. I just happened to have my code reader in the car and No codes came up but the P0171 Code which is the MAF sensor. I keep getting this P0171 poping up so I first cleaned it with MAF cleaner then I bought a new one online and installed it and every once and a while the damn P0171 comes back. Anyone else going threw this. My next draw is I bought a new IAC Valve and Im going too replace it tomorrow. Could my faulty IAC be triggering these issues as I am not getting any codes either for the IAC but when Im acellerating the car Hessitates and jerks a little, yet when Im on the highway its fine. Any one else have this issue or any suggestions would be appreciated.
My Car is a 2000 Monte SS 3.8 Litre.
Chris.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:18 PM

p0171 is fuel trim, not MAF. All those lights are triggered by the same thing, you need a hub. Find someone with a better tool to tell you which one.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:23 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by aussiek2000
p0171 is fuel trim, not MAF. All those lights are triggered by the same thing, you need a hub. Find someone with a better tool to tell you which one.
My OBDII code book states P0171 is System too Lean (Bank 1)
Fuel Trim Code is P0170.
So in your opinion why am I constantly getting this P0171 Code poping up??

Old 01-26-2013, 06:06 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

A simple ODB-II code scanner typically cannot scan the ABS computer. As Aussie mentioned, you will need a different scan tool for that. But I agree with his diagnosis, it is probably a wheel hub (or a severed wire for a speed sensor).

I recommend if you change the hub, get a Timken hub assembly. Best bang for the buck (get a cheapo, plan to re-visit this issue soon).

Old 01-26-2013, 06:15 PM
1 Year Member

Thanks Guys I appreciate the help, How can I determine if its the front or rear??

2ndly like I mentioned above could a faulty IAC trip code P0171 Ive replaced the maf with a new one and then it was still coming on so I cleaned the crap out of the old one with Maf cleaner and still. I cleaned the old IAC but it was pretty black even after cleaning so thats why I went out and got a new one for $60 Just wondering if its a waste of money or could it help with the leaning out!!

Old 01-26-2013, 07:19 PM

I told you, It's not a MAF code. Too lean. Could be oxygen sensors, injectors, vacuum leak, etc. And please tell me you don't have a K&N air filter.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:13 PM
1 Year Member

Nope I heard to avoid them as the oil screwes mafs up hahaha!!

Old 01-27-2013, 01:37 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

As far as the wheel hub goes, the "easiest" way is since you threw a code, get the ABS computer scanned (the code should tell you which hub has a problem).

Since you are getting an ABS code, it means the speed sensor (or it's wiring) is bad but the bearing itself in the hub could be 100% fine. If the bearing is bad, you normally get a lot of road noise. You can also "wiggle" the wheel when it's upp in the air and if you have play in all directions, a good sign which bearing is bad.

I really would not make this more difficult. Find someone that can scan the ABS computer for ABS codes. Go the easy route to start off.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:54 AM

Try autozone if you have them in your area. In Minneapolis they have an ABS capable scanner (free service) that told me which wheel was throwing the code. The code indicated a bad sensor but I dug into it and found it was actually just the harness which is a common problem with these cars. Ordered the part online for under $40 and was good to go.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:49 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by jim1405
Try autozone if you have them in your area. In Minneapolis they have an ABS capable scanner (free service) that told me which wheel was throwing the code. The code indicated a bad sensor but I dug into it and found it was actually just the harness which is a common problem with these cars. Ordered the part online for under $40 and was good to go.
I actually didnt get a code for the abs Just the lights came on all 3 and I just happened too have my OBDII scanner with me so I didnt shut the car off but I put it too Accesorys but no code for brakes came up just that P0171 again. I just put my new IAC Valve on and recleaned my Maf But this time I took off the neg and positive cables off the battery and touched them together for 15 seconds, Apparently it makes the computer delete the memory of the sensors and when you drive it has too relearn them so I did this and at first I was still getting the surging but I guess it takes awhile too learn the new settings but after awhile it seemed to straighten out so I will give it a couple of days and see if it made an approvement or not, So far the abs lights etc havent come back on.

Quick Reply: Service Traction Light and ABS and Traction off Lights came on. WHY??