Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Seized ignition cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 02:17 PM
1 Year Member
Default Seized ignition cylinder

Hey everyone,

My (2005 monte carlo 3.4 LS) ignition is seized and will not allow the key to turn. It began with the key being stuck in the cylinder, but by rocking the shifter from park to low multiple times it eventually came out. I suspect that the problem is either with ignition cylinder or with the shift solenoid (or its wiring). Problem is I cannot remove the dash or upper console because the shifter will not leave park due to the ignition not turning. I checked all fuses, tried with a fresh battery, and attempted to look for the shift solenoid override button(no dice finding it). I also tried lightly tapping the key with the back of a screwdriver, which did nothing but activate the panic button . We called gm and it doesn't seem to be covered under the recall. Does anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks in advance,
Scott

Last edited by Scott_S; 11-24-2014 at 02:20 PM. Reason: forgot to add year/engine
Old 11-25-2014, 09:21 AM

See this post to allow you to move the shifter.

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/en...24/#post248323

Old 11-25-2014, 11:17 AM
1 Year Member

Thanks for the reply ! I went out there for almost an hour pressing anything that looked like a button . I searched for a picture and couldn't find anything. Do you happen to have a picture of this button ?

Thanks

Old 11-25-2014, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Scott_S
Thanks for the reply ! I went out there for almost an hour pressing anything that looked like a button . I searched for a picture and couldn't find anything. Do you happen to have a picture of this button ?

Thanks
I do not. I personally did not do this but I will pop the cover off and see if I can find the location and get a picture after work today.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:53 AM
1 Year Member

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I saw a video and the 2006 has a large button to override; the 2005, not so much.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:41 PM

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I saw a video and the 2006 has a large button to override; the 2005, not so much.
Crap. I thought the link I showed you said 05. Either way I'll look.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:29 AM

Unfortunately I was unable to locate any release button. There is a cable that releases when the key is turned on the would allow the shifter to move. Unfortunately you still can't depress the button on the shifter. If you can find a way to allow for the button to be depressed and remove the cable, you'd be able to move the shifter.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:23 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It began with the key being stuck in the cylinder, but by rocking the shifter from park to low multiple times it eventually came out.

The tumblers in the switch or the key itself might be worn. Try spraying some WD40 into the switch on each side of the key then wiggling it. Once the key comes out have a new key made. If the problem returns replace the switch.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:16 AM
1 Year Member

The key eventually came out. I tried my other gm key (non worn) and the ignition won't turn at all, but the key comes freely out. That's what is having me think it's not sensing it's in park. I'm not a huge fan of WD40, I'll try some electronics cleaner.

I may be tinkering with my moms impala today. She's having similar problems, but her ignition will still turn for the time being. If I find that over ride button, I'll post a picture. There's a TSB for these problems, HERE. With so many people having these problems, it's a wonder there's not a recall. It took the cheapskates years(and many deaths) to recall the ignition(with only an insert).

Old 11-26-2014, 11:48 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The key eventually came out. I tried my other gm key (non worn) and the ignition won't turn at all, but the key comes freely out. That's what is having me think it's not sensing it's in park. I'm not a huge fan of WD40, I'll try some electronics cleaner.

I may be tinkering with my moms impala today. She's having similar problems, but her ignition will still turn for the time being. If I find that over ride button, I'll post a picture. There's a TSB for these problems, HERE. With so many people having these problems, it's a wonder there's not a recall. It took the cheapskates years(and many deaths) to recall the ignition(with only an insert).

Electronic cleaner evaporates and has no lubricating properties. That's why I suggested the WD40. It is non-conductive and provides lubrication.

The shifter solenoid is #3 on the attached picture.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0996b43f802026de.jpg (18.4 KB, 7 views)

Quick Reply: Seized ignition cylinder