Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Rough idle, and engine stalls

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Default Rough idle, and engine stalls

i have had a hard time figuring this out, i first replaced my spark plugs and wires, serpentine belt, T-stat, and coolent temp sensor. and it still had a rough idle and would stall. yesterday when i was driving, i filled up my gas tank, and then it started acting up like there was no gas going to the engine. it felt like it was sputting/ kinda jerking when i would accelerate. once i would hit 50 it got better but not good. stalls a lot under 30. check engine light came on, and i haven't had a chance to go use a code scanner. but i believe its the fuel pump. i am going to replace the fuel filter and see if that helps, and i hope it does. the car has 77K miles when i bought the car everything was still stock from 2000. nothing had been replaced! so i have been doing some little maintenance but this is the first "major problem" any advice i would appreciate.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008
Default RE: Rough idle, and engine stalls

Before you do any major work, have it scanned for free and Autozone or AAMCO.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:11 PM

i am going to do that this afternoon

Old 03-18-2008, 01:44 PM

If it hasn't had any of the scheduled maintenance done ... the first thing I would do is change-out the air filter for a new one. My car was doing the same thing and I found a "Caked" Air Filter that wouldn't shake off or vacuum clean in there. Once I changed-out the air filter it ran like a new car.

If you did do the wires and plugs. Take a minute to check the firing order is right. I did them one at a time so I wouldn't lose track. But, I did get a Number-1 Cylinder Misfire Code after because the NeverSeize I coated the Plug bodies with shorted-out the spark. Once I cleaned-up the mmess I made of that I was on the right track and hitting on all six.

AutoZone will LOAN you a Code Reader. You have to leave a deposit or a Credit Card Slip but you get a nice Code Reader to use and your deposit back when you return the Reader.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:30 PM

also throw some heat in the tank and see if that helps we have had a rash of bad gas in the area around here with LOTS of water in it.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

BAD GAS! Quit buying the cheapest gas available. Use ONLY TopTier gas. Now replace the fuel filter and use AT LEAST one treatment of Seafoam fuel injector cleaner. A clogged filter won't let you drive fast, but only slow. It won't pass fuel. You have the opposite problem, which indicates that your injectors are almost totally clogged.
When you put a can of Seafoam in the tank, MAKE SURE YOU "DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT", otherwise, the loosened gunk in the injectors will just clog the injectors TOTALLY. Then you'll be looking at replacing them.
A rough idle at stop lights is ALWAYS clogged injectors due to crap gas. SEAFOAM!

Old 03-18-2008, 11:59 PM

I have a similar problem, but it only does it while its warm, and for about 5-10 minutes.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:09 AM

ORIGINAL: Farfig

I have a similar problem, but it only does it while its warm, and for about 5-10 minutes.
Yeah me too, I'm not sure what it is though, and like farfig said, mine does it only when it is warm and for a short time.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:58 PM

Ditto RocknSS....Sea Foam all the time....

Old 03-22-2008, 11:09 AM

hahahahaha RocknSS before anything i put in a thing of seafoam, but i figured it out, no more problems. it was the fuel regulator. when i pulled the line off it it was dumping fuel like none other, and to my understanding its not suppose to do that. so my fuel to air ratio was completely off! the engine ran so rough from way to much fuel in it.

Quick Reply: Rough idle, and engine stalls