Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Replacement Key Fob Programming!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Replacement Key Fob Programming!

Hey guys, I have a 2000 Monte Carlo SS...I am under the impression that these cars were stock equipped with the necessary devices for the keyless remote fobs. Is this true?

My car did not come with a remote, so I bought one from iKeyless.com and the instructions said that I had to use a jumper wire in the code reading plug under the dash. This did not work. I also tried to look through the settings in the STOCK radio, but all I find is Light timer, tire press, oil reset, and locks. I couldn't find any Key Fob settings.

Why isn't this working for me? Do I not have a transmitter in my car? Could it be broke? Is there a different way to program the remote?

Thanks

Old 03-15-2011, 09:22 PM
Default Tech 2 required

I believe a gm scanner is needed to set up the fob programming, I have done it myself before (I have access to a tech2 at all times) it's very easy to do as long as you have the correct fobs. I'll search my info sources tomorrow and see if there is another way. I wouldn't hold your breath though cuz I think its only possible with a tech2.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Justin Knight
I believe a gm scanner is needed to set up the fob programming, I have done it myself before (I have access to a tech2 at all times) it's very easy to do as long as you have the correct fobs. I'll search my info sources tomorrow and see if there is another way. I wouldn't hold your breath though cuz I think its only possible with a tech2.

Cool thanks!!

Old 03-16-2011, 08:19 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Turn the car to ACC:

1. Make sure that the RADIO POWER is off.
2. Hold in the DISP Button on the Radio Dash until the SETTINGS appears.
3. Cycle thru the options using the SEEK > button until you get to the FOB PROG Function(option 11)
4. Select this option using the RADIO PRESET button 1
5. Hold the DISP button down until PUSH FOB appears.
5. The KEY FOB is ready to program. Hold the LOCK and UNLOCK Buttons on the FOB. You should hear a chime when it worked.

This info is also in the OWNERS MANUAL under the KEYLESS ENTRY section.
As for the KEY FOB ID, (ON BACK OF REMOTE)it is as follows:
GM / UTA 25678792
FCC ID: KOBUT1BT
CANADA: 1983 101 393

Old 03-16-2011, 09:27 PM

I've never heard of that before on a 2002 model, I know some 2006 and newer models have that option but never knew the older ones had that. Interesting info. I can't even check it on my on car cuz I have a Sony head unit and the factory cd player is sitting in my closet.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Turn the car to ACC:

1. Make sure that the RADIO POWER is off.
2. Hold in the DISP Button on the Radio Dash until the SETTINGS appears.
3. Cycle thru the options using the SEEK > button until you get to the FOB PROG Function(option 11)
4. Select this option using the RADIO PRESET button 1
5. Hold the DISP button down until PUSH FOB appears.
5. The KEY FOB is ready to program. Hold the LOCK and UNLOCK Buttons on the FOB. You should hear a chime when it worked.

This info is also in the OWNERS MANUAL under the KEYLESS ENTRY section.
As for the KEY FOB ID, (ON BACK OF REMOTE)it is as follows:
GM / UTA 25678792
FCC ID: KOBUT1BT
CANADA: 1983 101 393
Unfortunately, like I said above that doesn't work for my car...I don't have a FOB PROG setting in there.

I took it to the dealership today. They ran my VIN and said that it definitely is equipped with the right transmitter and everything but said that it'd have to be done with a GM Scanner...and would cost an additional $44 to program.

Does anyone have any idea how to bypass this?

Old 03-17-2011, 01:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Gut says if the steps Chibi suggested don't work and you verify there are no programming steps in the owner's manual, you may infact need some programming done. Other option, buy an aftermarket keyless entry/remote start and install it (did it on my wife's Impala, tight spacing to connect wires). But you'll spend MORE then $44.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:31 PM

I'm going to spend another day or two trying to find a bypass...if not, I'll return the remote and get my money back. I've discovered that I can buy a remote from gmpartsdirect for $55, not much more than I paid for this one.

Does anybody know where exactly the transmitter box is located on the car itself?

Old 03-17-2011, 10:45 PM

If you can't do it through the stereo just get a garage to do it for you with a tech 2 I don't mean to offend but what is so bad about spending money on the most reliable keyless entry you can have for your car?

Old 03-18-2011, 09:51 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Furder2010
I'm going to spend another day or two trying to find a bypass...if not, I'll return the remote and get my money back. I've discovered that I can buy a remote from gmpartsdirect for $55, not much more than I paid for this one.

Does anybody know where exactly the transmitter box is located on the car itself?
GM Parts Direct is just a dealer, and I don't like them at all. I just use their site for part numbers. Check your local dealer because they will charge an arm and a leg for shipping.

Quick Reply: Replacement Key Fob Programming!