Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

A few questions about my 77

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 07:21 PM
Default A few questions about my 77

First off I own a 1977 Monte Carlo, 305 engine with 350 transmission, mild racing cam, dual exhaust with no converters, new fuel pump, new camshaft, new lifters, new alternator.

Here are my questions

1. The oil light seems to have a constant flickering, comes on for a second then goes off. I check the oil and it is full. Oil doesn't seem to be leaking anywhere although it smells like it does burn a little bit. Maybe a short in a wire somewhere?

2. The Generator light will come on at random times while driving and then shut back off for no apparent reason. The car does have an aftermarket Pioneer CD player with Mtx 6x9's and a small amp however even when the radio is turned off the light still comes on and goes off as it pleases. Any ideas?

3. The car starts up every time and it drives exceptionally well, shifts smoothly, nice smooth ride, nothing out of the ordinary but a lot of times when putting the car into reverse it will die. Always starts right back up though. I understand it doing it when the car isn't warmed up but it will even do it after being driven a bit. It has only done it going in reverse.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated especially since this beast is my daily driver at the moment until I get something else to drive daily and I can start restoring this one.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:25 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Lets start with the oil light flickering....
Check the connection at the sending unit...or replace it with an actual oil pressure gauge and delete the "idiot" light all together?

Does it actually have a "Generator"? or an alternator? I think it has an alternator...its a 305 and they didnt use generators on the 305's..or in 1977...
Again 2ndly I'd convert it to an actual alternator gauge....instead of the "idiot" light....that way you know the actual voltage its putting out...

Now if its stahling out when you put it in reverse...Probably raise the idle up some since it has a non stock cam... standard idle rpm for a stock automatic is 600 rpms....Maybe try turning it up to 625 or 650 rpms...
and see if that resolves your stahling issue....

If your smelling oil and cant find any leaks..etc...Common on the 305 is at the distributor gasket...the crankcase pressure maybe more over stock with your modifications(check change PCV valve)...causeing a minor leak and thats what your smelling... The fix: Remove the distributor and replace the gasket and reinstahl...Note which way the rotor is pointing so you dont have a timing issue after the reinstahl...

It could also be a rear seal leak..its just enough to smell burning..and not see. Try removeing the inspection cover off the flywheel and see if you see any leak....

Being the old school mechanic...this is a model year I have had plenty of repair experience and places I have found or repaired these issues....
Could also be valve cover gaskets (at the rear closest to the firewall)...Some people tend to over tighten the valve covers and end up leaking..
Or it could be leakey valve seals(in the motor)....if you smell it....Burning smell....eventually it will end up being lo on oil...over time....

Hope this helps...
Maybe someone else will chime in with other ideas,fixes...

Last edited by STUMPMI; 09-06-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would say it has an alternator too but I think the light still said Gen. I had a 75 olds and a 70's buick and they both had idiot lights that said Gen.

Like Stumpmi said get a set of gauges on it and you can tell more of whats happening. The lights only let you know there may be a problem a gauge can give you more precise info. Also I would clean everything up really good with a few cans of degreaser and see if you can find any fresh leaks in a few days.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:35 PM

Yeah it doesn't have a generator but that is what the light says. Thanks for the tips and ideas I'll try a few out and see what happens. This forum has been really useful I appreciate the replies :-)

Old 09-06-2012, 03:41 PM

5 Year Member

your welcome...let us know what u find!

and definately eliminate those idiot lights lol
Good Luck!

Old 09-06-2012, 09:33 PM

Found out that both the lights are just shorts in the old wiring. So that is a relief.

The next question is the motor is making noise the whole time it runs, weather its driving or sitting in park. Sounds like a rattling noise from inside the motor of metal hitting metal, It doesn't sound like a lifter at all (I had lifter problems on my Buick) So I don't know, the car drives perfectly fine but I'm worried about the noise

Old 09-07-2012, 08:56 AM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by 77MonteCarloMan
Found out that both the lights are just shorts in the old wiring. So that is a relief.

The next question is the motor is making noise the whole time it runs, weather its driving or sitting in park. Sounds like a rattling noise from inside the motor of metal hitting metal, It doesn't sound like a lifter at all (I had lifter problems on my Buick) So I don't know, the car drives perfectly fine but I'm worried about the noise
Id say from your description:

Its 1 of 3 things....

1)Rod knock
2)Wrist pin
3)Main bearings.

Possibly all 3!!!
Doesnt sound good

Old 09-07-2012, 10:07 AM

Well that sucks. This is the only car I have to drive right now as my Buick is broke down. I'm not going to junk the car I get too emotional attached to older vehicles but it still sucks. I will fix it though.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member

You could pull a valve cover and check out & see if everything is ok under them ??