Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

rear defog - defrost not functioning

Old 10-09-2010, 03:31 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default rear defog - defrost not functioning

I've read the posts on here, but have some additional detail and my scenario is a bit different. So I am hoping someone can help me out. My rear defog stopped working on my 2007 LT. The relay is functioning fine, and the light does come on the instrument cluster. I checked the anchors on the read window and appear to be solid and sound. I also did not see any physical breaks in the grid.

I put a multimeter on the passenger side wire (purple) while it was connected to the grid and it I detected no power. WHen I removed it and tested it directly, i was getting about 2.5 volts DC. Granted, I was using a bolt connecting the back seat to the frame as my ground, so I don't know if I was getting a great ground or not. When I checked the driver side power (black wire I believe), I received nothing, connected or not connected.

Here is the wrinkle I'll throw into this. My dear and wonderful daughter had a habit of putting her hands up above her head dragging them against the rear window while in the back seat. Could that have shorted out the grid? Do I have any DIY options, I am somewhat skilled at car repair but certainly no expert. Especially when it comes to grounding/electrical/short outs.

thanks!

John