Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Radiator drain & removal?

Old 04-03-2009, 12:57 PM
Default Radiator drain & removal?

Is there a drain **** on the 2003 M/C SS? How avout radiator removal on the same car? Any removal tips? Thanks

Old 04-03-2009, 01:40 PM

Hi `Rick,
I hope the below infor helps.
Check back later to see `if a member posts on how
to remove the rad.
Good Luck
Below infor found on WebSpaceSeach
from

On the bleeder it is either on the thermostat housing or on the heater return line located at the top of the water pump. It should be a brass fitting.

On the flush you'll need to get the heater core, engine and radiator so the best thing to do is get a Prestone Flush Kit which has a tee adapter that you will splice in at the incoming heater hose going to the heater core. The inlet will be the bottom line at the firewall so check there and that will be the right hose. You can leave the adapter installed for any future work.

The biggest problem will be figuring out how much new coolant to add to get for example a 50/50 mix. I use distilled water and do a premix in another container. When flushing and then draining via the radiator drain plug there will be water left over in the engine block. There is a block drain located at the front and rear block. The rear one will be hard to get at to drain the block. The front should be accessible but then again it is not necessary to remove the engine drain plugs. You can get a cheapy cooling system tester later to figure out if you have the right freeze or boil over protection.

The radiator drain plug is located on the driver's side of the radiator engine side. The drain plug will turn about 1/4 inch counterclockwise and coolant will start draining out. You can use the end of a 1/4" drive socket ratchet or handle to open or close the radiator drain plug. It fits just right. BTW- It is cheap plastic and fragile. You will need to remove a plastic splash guard under the radiator for access the the radiator drain plug and to catch old coolant.

After doing the flush, draining what is left, and refilling you can perform the air bleed. Engine should be brought up to operating temperature first and make sure thermostat opens. Re-check coolant level in radiator and the coolant reservoir afterwards. About a day later you can do a final bleed to make sure all air is out of the system.

BTW - After flushing I would still undo the lower and upper radiator hoses to help get old coolant out although draining at the radiator will suffice. Some people remove the thermostat before flushing. I use my garden hose and regular tap water supply during flushing.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:50 PM

`Rick, below is a great investment `if you are going to
be work'in on your Awesome Monte Carlo.

Automotive Repair Manuals

Chevrolet Lumina, Monte Carlo and Impala Haynes Repair Manual for 1995 thru 2005 Front-wheel Drive Models. Does not include information specific to supercharged models.

Our Price: $24.95

What you can learn

With a Haynes manual, you can do it yourself…from simple maintenance to basic repairs. Haynes writes every book based on a complete teardown of the vehicle. We learn the best ways to do a job and that makes it quicker, easier and cheaper for you. Our books have clear instructions and hundreds of photographs that show each step. Whether you’re a beginner or a pro, you can save big with Haynes!
Step-by-step procedures
--Easy-to-follow photos
--Complete troubleshooting section
--Valuable short cuts
--Color spark plug diagnosis

Summary Table of Contents Product Detail Related Books
Book Summary

Complete coverage for your Chevrolet Lumina, Monte Carlo and Impala (see years covered):
--Routine maintenance
--Tune-up procedures
--Engine repair
--Cooling and heating
--Air conditioning
--Fuel and exhaust
--Emissions control
--Ignition
--Brakes
--Suspension and steering
--Electrical systems
--Wiring diagrams
http://www.haynes.com/products/sfID1.../productID/261
Source Link Above

Last edited by Space; 04-03-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:29 AM

KidSpace
You are right I need to get the service manual. I have owned this car since new for over 6 years with never a problem but it has racked up 84K on the clock and starting to need some maintenance. I have seen the GM manuals on Ebay occasionally but never bought them. Hind sight is 20-20.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:59 AM

this may be a dumb question, but how do I bleed it?

Old 08-03-2011, 08:53 AM

I am curious if anyone knows the location of the bleeder valve on my 3.5 by any chance? Those service manuals are very helpful and honestly i think everyone should have one for their cars. I dont have one yet but soon enough, its not expensive.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:07 PM

Hello, I have a 2002 Monte Carlo SS 3.8L and was going to install a flush kit. Which of the heater hoses coming off the belt tensioner is the inlet? if your looking down on the tensioner is it the right or left? I have searched this forum and on google and the best answerr I have gotten is its a 50/50 chance! lol Help please!

Old 11-04-2013, 06:24 PM

hey Space thanks for the info, do you have pics or a link to a video showing where everything is?