Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): question on fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 01:43 PM
Default question on fuel pump

Hey guys..ok...got a quick couple of questions.

as I posted earlier..I think I am going to need a new fuel float/sending unit, and my fuel gauge never goes to "empty", it kind of floats between half tank and full tank..no matter how much gas is in the tank.

Anyway, I am just going order a new fuel pump assembly, as it's easy enough to replace in the trunk...

Anyway, I order MOST of my parts from 1AAuto.com and they are very good about posting install videos and stuff. One thing they said to check before replacing the sending unit/pump for a faulty gauge reading was to start the car, then pull the fuel pump fuse, the car will die. Replace the fuse, and then restart the car. This sometimes clears the problem.

Any thoughts on the above? I am a bit nervous that if I pull my pumps fuse, and car dies...it won't reprime and start my car..or am I just worrying for no reason.

Old 08-30-2015, 03:49 PM

Well I'm outside smoking a cig and just read your thread, so I just did as u posted, pulled the fuse and the car continued running for about 3 seconds then it choked out & shut off, plugged the fuse back in and it fired right up after it, (I did allow the fuel pump to prime first, aka till the beeping stopped) even though I don't have a faulty reading gauge it does prove the car starts up again.

Old 08-30-2015, 05:39 PM

Ok..well what can it hurt, right? I'm gonna give it a try...if it works I'll save myself a little cash..if not, no harm, no foul.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:58 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

the gauge no reading properly could be because of the fuel level sender (mounted on the side of the sending unit, can be changed without buying a whole new sending unit for way cheaper) or it could be the stepper motor in the gauge cluster.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:00 PM

Yeah...I just tried the "pulling the fuse" for the fuel pump.......didn't seem to do anything really.

Question..when you start the car, when it does that quick "diagnostic" when you first turn the key..should the fuel needle bottom out at E first, THEN up the fuel level..or should it run up to "FULL" then to actual fuel level? When I turn my key on and start the car..it bottoms out down below E, then goes up from there.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:20 AM

Mine doesn't do either one it just goes straight to the actual fuel level and stays at it