Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

power steering issue.. leak from reservoir

Old 04-28-2011, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default power steering issue.. leak from reservoir

Hi guys, I apologize for posting so many times about my problems. Please forgive me. I need some advice regarding a power steering leak I have coming from my reservoir. I had my system flushed out last week due to a really bad croaking noise coming from the steering pump. It wasnt consistent, but it only made the sound when I'm in gear stopped and turn the steering 45 deg or so. So I decided to flush the system out with seafoam and replaced the fluid with prestone p/s fluid. The very next day I noticed little drops of fluid on my garage floor, and everytime I clean the subframe whenever I drive it again and the car warms up and leave it to sit I notice another leak dropping on the floor, so here I went adding lucas oil stop leak which by the way didnt fix the leak. Just today, I got really annoyed of the leak, jacked up the car and checked to see where the leak was coming from, and to my surprise it came from the bottom of the steering reservoir. I checked the bellows, rack, and the pressure lines and everything seems in check. I am guessing that the system needs to be bled from the air as whenever I drive I can hear the sound of wind coming from the steering wheel. Which doesnt make sense because I did the lock to lock procedure and still making a whirling sound. Anyways, I flushed the fluid again and bought lucas oil p/s fluid and conditioner and added close to a whole small bottle of lucas oil stop leak and now it seems the leaks gotten worst than before. But it only seems to be coming from the reservoir. Do you guys think that overfilling the reservoir can cause a leak? I need some advice as to how I can fix this leak and completely get the air out of the system. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Regards,
George

Old 04-28-2011, 08:56 PM

Over filling can absolutely cause a leak. That's why it says do not over fill in any repair manual and it has a dipstick. If it's very over filled when the fluid gets hot it will expand and over flow out of the cap/dipstick. FYI stop leak products are a bandaid for cars and girls and moms use bandaids...

I've never seen a reservoir leak on w body car it's alway the pump shaft seal or a rubber cooler line connection.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Can you tell where the reservoir is leaking , there is a o-ring on the reservoir to the pump..

Old 04-29-2011, 05:25 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

hey guys, I absolutely appreciate your feedback and advice. I also missed out some key points. When I flushed the system I removed the return hose and drained the reservoir. Than I turned on the car with the return line off and turned the steering left and right to drain the rest of the fluid out from the return line. When it stopped draining I immediately turned off the car. Than I filled up the reservoir with lucas oil p/s fluid & conditioner. I turned the car and had my brother do the lock to lock procedure and I kept an eye on the reservoir (even though its extremely difficult to see back there) I noticed small bubbles on the surface of the fluid which I read somewhere its called cavitation. The pump was making noises, so I turned it off waited a bit and than refilled the reservoir again until it reached the HOT ADD line. Turned the car again and did lock to lock again. This time the steering was so much more smoother and the pump made a slight groaning noise at the end of the lock cycle. I checked the dipstick again and this time it was below the ADD line so a put just a little more fluid (btw, I used a mixture of lucas oil conditioning fluid and the stop leak, about a 50/50 mixture). I turned the car on again, I did the lock to lock once more. Groaning noise was gone, I let the car warm up in idle and took it out for a spin. That is when I noticed the slight wind/whistling sound coming from the pump when I'd accelerate. So I brought it back to the house after it was warm and noticed fluid coming from the top of the reservoir. It leaked for 2 min slowly and than stopped. Any advice on what I can do to bleed the system properly and possibly remove some fluid from there. Do you guys reckon I damaged some seals? Thanks again for your replies.

Regards,

George