Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default please help

I have an 03 ss with 41xxx miles on her, and i go and put the key in the ignition, and i turn it to on or i start it which ever, and some times the cruse light will come on the dash(when it shouldn't be). and the message thing on the roof wont come on, and my heater wont turn on either, it might take a few mins before they come on and start working. but if i hit the top of the dash they start working right away. so im just wondering if anyone has had this problem before, and what i can do to fix it. thanks for reading and any help i can get would be great.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Whenever a few electronic things start to fail at one time, and act funky... I start to suspect the BCM. I hope for you it's not that, because it's not cheap.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep
Whenever a few electronic things start to fail at one time, and act funky... I start to suspect the BCM. I hope for you it's not that, because it's not cheap.
the bmc went out on my car 2 years ago and i had that replaced, and when that went out it was doing anything like it is now. because when that starts going out, my car would lock and unlock the doors, and pop the truck when ever it felt like it. so i know thats not what causing it. but im still stumped

Old 09-08-2009, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member

anyone have an idea?

Old 09-08-2009, 10:22 PM

Wiring diagram and start tracking the issues. Get a 12 pack of highlighters, every issue needs a different color and you highlight the wires going to that item with that color. when they all intersect you have the first suspect.

I agree with chibi it sounds like a BCM and any controller never acts like another when they fail. If you want it confirmed you will have to pay or find it yourself.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:27 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by MonteDriver
Wiring diagram and start tracking the issues. Get a 12 pack of highlighters, every issue needs a different color and you highlight the wires going to that item with that color. when they all intersect you have the first suspect.

I agree with chibi it sounds like a BCM and any controller never acts like another when they fail. If you want it confirmed you will have to pay or find it yourself.
and i've called the chevy dealer and told them everything that my car is doing, and i even asked them if it could be my bcm that's only at the most 2 years old, if that could be causing it and they told me that whats happening has nothing to do with the bcm. so im leaning more towards the ignition switch, im going to try taking it out and cleaning it and seeing if that works. because someone else on here had something, similar going on with his and thats what he did and its worked ever since. i just hope it works for me too.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member

an update i was going to clean the connectors on the ignition switch, but i had my step dad hook up his scan tool to my car, and we did a few tests. and it came up with 2 fault codes, the two codes are a P1554C and a P1585C. and it said that it could be the passlock bad or the ignition switch being bad. so i called and talked to my local chevy dealer and told them what the scan tool said, and they told me that it wouldn't be the passlock, because that has to do with the security system and that im not having any problems with that. and that its more then likely the ignition, but "they" would still want to test it. now my question is, do they know thats what it is and are trying to screw me out of money? or should i just go by what the scan tool said and go with it and replace the ignition?