Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

P0404 code (EGR) - serious?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008
Default P0404 code (EGR) - serious?

Exhaust gas recirculation circuit, range or performance problem. What can cause this? Is it just a bad/dirty EGR valve? Could bad gas have caused it (within 50 miles of filling up, the "ugly" light came on)? It seems to run fine. I have a 400+ mile round trip planned for next week, can it cause any damage if not fixed before then?

Thanks

Old 02-03-2008, 11:39 AM
Default RE: P0404 code - serious?

[align=center]Hi Becky,[/align][align=center]Likey the EGR is sticking and threw a code.[/align][align=center]I would clean it, or have it cleaned, plus throttle body.[/align][align=center]You did have a new `Cat installed, didn't you ?[/align][align=center]Have your `hubby check it out, and while he's out there,[/align][align=center]have him detail your Monte : ) [][/align][align=center]Once you clean it, reset your codes, and `if it appears [/align][align=center]again, I would replaced the EGR.[/align][align=center]Good Luck, & keep us updated.[/align][align=center]`Space[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]PS, Maybe get some Sea Foam ? It's amaz'in and Mod Wiz swears by `it : )[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]
Sea Foam
Welcome to SeaFoam's website. SeaFoam is renowned as the finest, most multifaceted and safest petroleum product of our times.
www.seafoamsales.com/ - 11k - Similar pages
http://www.seafoamsales.com/

Sea Foam
(If vehicle is port injected slowly pour SEA FOAM through direct manifold vacuum line that will feed all cylinders, possible sources are P.C.V. valve or ...
www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.h... - 19k - Similar pages
[ More results from www.seafoamsales.com ]
http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm[/align]Using Sea Foam on your Automobile
To clean the above

Old 02-03-2008, 11:52 AM

[align=center]EGR Tech Infor [/align][align=center]below link[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]http://www.gearchatter.com/viewpost12927.php[/align]

Old 02-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Photobucket

ORIGINAL: SpaceRider

[align=center]You did have a new `Cat installed, didn't you ?[/align][/align]
Thanks Space.
Yep, sure did, less than 3,000 miles ago. (I hate that ugly little light but I guess it's better than it just laying down and dieing some place, but I sure don't sleep good when that thing shows up).

Will that Seafoam stuff clean the intake manifold or will that have to be cleaned another way?
I'm also looking for more info on cleaning the EGR before jumping off into it.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:19 PM
Photobucket

I found this on cleaning the EGR but it's for a, uhm,Honda (that was by accident, I don't frequent Honda sites, I found itdoing a search). Is it all about the same? http://www.hondaprelude.to/forums/sh...ad.php?t=59722

Old 02-03-2008, 10:14 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

I had a similar code on my old f150. I cleaned the valve, but I still got the code. It turned out to be the EVP (EGR valve position)sensor. It is the electronic part of the EGR that opens and closes the valve. It just bolts to the top of the EGR. Im not sure where onyour EGR it would be, but it should be easy to locate, it will bewhere the onlywire tothe EGRplugs to.$28 and I fixed my problem. Like you, mine ran just fine too, but still pulled a code.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:16 AM
Photobucket

MRL390, according to my Haynes manual, the sensor is built into the valve.
From what I've been able to find in the manual and online, it's either clogged, bad valve/sensor, or something wrong with the PCM. So I guess first thing will be be to clean it. I read in another post (with a P0401 code - insuffiecient flow which may not be my issue) that thetube was also plugged going to the intake mainfold. In order to clean that, I'm assuming the tube will need to be removed. Is this correct?
Circuit, range or performance - that sure leaves a lot of unanswered questions. Circuit, I would think would be a bad valve/sensor or PCM. Range or performance could be that or clogged. I would think, but I could be completely wrong.

Also read somewhere that a bad cat can cause the EGR to go bad, and I did have a bad cat, so.....

Old 02-04-2008, 01:53 PM

Hi Becky,
You may have replaced your clogged up Cat, but I think the carbon & deposits have
affected the other components associated with your system, like
your EGR. Have you cleaned it, and reset your codes ?
Wish you good luck. `Space

Old 02-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Photobucket

That's what I'm really hoping Space. We haven't yet. Will probably do it tonight or tomorrow. Just a little worried about messing something else up. Sounds straight forward enough though (but I'm a worry wart).

Old 02-04-2008, 04:48 PM

well if all else fails just shine her up really nice and make sure it looks really good.

Then KICK THE CRAP OUT OF IT TO MAKE IT WORK RIGHT AGAIN!!!

KIDDING

I took mine and had the codes checked on it agian and found out it was the plugs and wires. so i no longer have the studdring issue but then after a week of great driving with nothign comming on the frekin light comes on and i cant figure this one out again.

I am hoping it is the O2 sensor as it was one of the ones that was mentioned when i did the plugs. they said it was reading rich. go figure i changed the plugs and one was almost out of the block completly.

I hope yours is somthing easy.

IF not i will PM you my cell number if you get caught ont he side fo the road i can come out to help ya if not driving in the truck But if worse case i can at least help figure it out i have a factory set of manuals here i just have to dig them out still.

Quick Reply: P0404 code (EGR) - serious?