Over heating and spraying coolant? - Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums


Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 10-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Va Beach
Posts: 16
Default Over heating and spraying coolant?

Friends car is a 2000 3.8L was over heating so he brought it to me, flushed coolant and started to refill it and bleed it and noticed when I revved it up it sprayed coolant from somewhere above the water pump area, looks to me to be where a 90* plastic elbow is going back into the head or intake manifold. Whats there? I never worked on a 3.8L before, this common? Intake hot to come off? Of the heads?

Any info would be great!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-11-2009, 03:28 PM
MAMONTE's Avatar

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 8,456
Default

If it is spraying out coolant chances are that the elbow broke/ cracked. It is a common problem with the 3.8L, but its not a huge deal, you can buy them.

Also, just an FYI (this does not sound to be your problem, just so you are aware) It is very common for the intake manifold gaskets on the 3.8L to leak, and need replacing.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-11-2009, 03:48 PM
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Va Beach
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAMONTE View Post
If it is spraying out coolant chances are that the elbow broke/ cracked. It is a common problem with the 3.8L, but its not a huge deal, you can buy them.

Also, just an FYI (this does not sound to be your problem, just so you are aware) It is very common for the intake manifold gaskets on the 3.8L to leak, and need replacing.

Whats got to come off? Upper intake? Its a 90* plastic elbow that looks to me to go behind the belt tensioner and to the heater core hoses. I cant tell if it goes into the upper intake lower intake or the head??? Just cant get in there to see it?

Whats the part called?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-11-2009, 05:32 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 59
Default

Take a few minutes and unhook the serpentine belt and remove the alternator which is all pretty easy and go down to your local parts store and borrow there coolant pressurizing took and when you put pressure on the system you will be able to look down on those elbows to see if they are leaking. I replaced mine with the lower manifold but if I remember you can access replaceing them very easily with just unbolting a few things. They also sell the pair of elbows in the help section for only a couple of bucks
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-11-2009, 05:37 PM
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Va Beach
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnmech View Post
Take a few minutes and unhook the serpentine belt and remove the alternator which is all pretty easy and go down to your local parts store and borrow there coolant pressurizing took and when you put pressure on the system you will be able to look down on those elbows to see if they are leaking. I replaced mine with the lower manifold but if I remember you can access replaceing them very easily with just unbolting a few things. They also sell the pair of elbows in the help section for only a couple of bucks
Thats sounds like what I wanted to hear. I just did not want to have to remove the intake manifold to access it.

I'll report back.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-12-2009, 10:06 AM
ChibiBlackSheep's Avatar

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wyncote, PA
Posts: 24,175
Default

If your elbows are broken you can pick them up at Pep-boys.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-12-2009, 08:40 PM
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Va Beach
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep View Post
If your elbows are broken you can pick them up at Pep-boys.
Got them off and both were destroyed, just fell apart in my hands, unbelievable. Most of the elbows are gone, prob in the cooling system.

Thats was so easy I pulled the upper intake to check for the EGR problem and locate the coolant leak under the TB. Found out the EGR is not and issue but the gasket between the TB and the intake was leaking coolant.

Nowhere is the quetion, where do I get a new upper to lower intake manifold gasket? AutoZone and Advance do not carry it? Dealer part only? Strange.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-13-2009, 09:30 AM
ChibiBlackSheep's Avatar

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wyncote, PA
Posts: 24,175
Default

zzperformance.com (under grand prix same engine) should have all the gaskets your friend needs.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-13-2009, 08:58 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 59
Default

I bought mine at Oreilly auto. They are sold seperately. The upper manifold gasket is called plenium gasket. Here is the autozone links
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...chText=plenium
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...rchText=gasket
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-14-2009, 03:20 PM
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Va Beach
Posts: 16
Default

Replaced them and its no longer leaking, thanks all!

Bought the upper gasket from the dealer, $26 not so bad.
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Over heating problem please help chamberz Monte Carlo Repair Help 1 07-15-2009 03:02 PM
1997 Monte Carlo z34 over heating problem connersdad19 Monte Carlo Repair Help 14 05-29-2009 04:24 AM
Over heating sprfrk2005 General Monte Carlo Talk 4 05-20-2009 10:15 AM
over heating bjar61 Monte Carlo Repair Help 15 01-07-2009 05:48 PM


Tags
02, 06, 2000, alternator, carlo, colling, coolant, core, heater, hoses, leaking, leaks, location, monte, ss, system

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 AM.