Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Need to know

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 12:35 PM
Default Need to know

I have a 2004 Monte Carlo SS and over the summer there was something wrong with my air conditioning. All it would blow out was hot air. So I took it to the Chevy dealer in my area and they said that it was only a component in the condenser that they fixed. Now that it's getting cold, my car will not blow out heat at all. Second, would antifreeze have anything to do with why my blower is blowing out cold air?

Old 10-14-2009, 12:59 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

What's wrong with your anti-freeze?

Old 10-14-2009, 04:01 PM

I looked under my hood one day and there was nothing in the resavoir... went to AutoZone and got the already mixed all car all weather and now it looks like there is nothing but water in my resavoir and I have no heat blowing out of the blower just cold air.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:51 PM

I would be more worried about mixing DEXCOOL with an non DEXCOOL friendly antifreeze than I would be worried about heat right not.

Might want to get the cooling system drained, flushed and refilled with the proper ratio of anti freeze and water pronto. If you do it yourself I would use distilled water.

As for the heat, heat is provided by running hot coolant from the engine through a mini radiator (heater core) while running a blower through the heater core and into the car.

Could be a thermostat problem, car not heating up and therefore you are not getting hot coolant to the heater core, so is your car warming up to operating temp?

Could be the heater control valve, not sure where these are on these cars but usually somewhere in the heater lines there is a valve that depending on where you put the temp dial controls the flow of hot coolant to the heater core.

Let us know what you find, and make sure you have compatible coolants in your car, what was there, and what you added.

DEXCOOL can be a nasty thing. I have pulled it out of both my GM cars.

Last edited by Scooby doo; 10-14-2009 at 08:53 PM. Reason: spelling and clarity