Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Oil leak

Old 11-07-2011, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Oil leak

Hey I gotta 07 LS & I've had a oil leak for a couple months I thought it was the filter but I changed it & it still leaks. It's a slow leak but every month or so I have to add a couple quarts of oil. Has anybody had this problem or knows what might be the issue? Don't want to pay a dealer $90 to tell me whats wrong

Old 11-07-2011, 10:11 PM

Only way to do it will be to look. Clean it up and then see if you can tell where it's coming from. I've had a transmission cooler line leak, a power steering leak (or blowout might be better term) and a rear main seal leak (total pain in the *** and has not gotten fixed).

I don't know of any common oil leaks on these engines yet, most are still relatively leak free. Do you have the ability to get under the car and do some searching?

Old 11-08-2011, 04:10 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

A quick way to get a sure answer is take it to good quality oil change place,have oil changed and im sure they will tell you where leak is coming from.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:54 PM

My 3lt is leaking oil to the lower intake manifold....in the cooliant housing there is a brownish liqid was told thats the leak

Old 01-15-2012, 09:21 PM

There is a special kind of dye you can buy and you add it to your oil and let it run a day or so with it in there and look around the engine with a black light.. Best of luck!

Old 01-22-2012, 12:16 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i had an oil pan gasket leak on my SS. it is hard to identify oil leaks sometimes. luckily i had access to a hoist to get a better look.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:05 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by 06LTMonte
My 3lt is leaking oil to the lower intake manifold....in the cooliant housing there is a brownish liqid was told thats the leak
That could be 2 things......coolant mixing with your oil......or you have mixed dex anti freeze with anothe (color) or brand.....you could also have to replace both upper and lower intakes......Until you find whats really going on (probably take it apart) I wouldnt plann on continueing to drive it...you could blow the motor up...and that brings a whole new problem..!!

Good luck..let us know what you found out and how you fixed it!

Old 01-31-2012, 10:40 PM

If you were thinking it was the oil filter, it could be the oil filter housing. There is a small metal/rubber gasket behind where the housing bolts onto the engine block. It started leaking on my car about a month ago. The part is only about 12$ from the Chevy dealer and I had it installed for free (love family connections) so I can't comment on the labor.

Edit, Part number is 12607947

Old 02-02-2012, 07:39 AM
5 Year Member

Preciate it guys I'm gonna try n find out what it is this weekend I'll post what I find

Old 02-24-2012, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by PinklySmooth
If you were thinking it was the oil filter, it could be the oil filter housing. There is a small metal/rubber gasket behind where the housing bolts onto the engine block. It started leaking on my car about a month ago. The part is only about 12$ from the Chevy dealer and I had it installed for free (love family connections) so I can't comment on the labor.

Edit, Part number is 12607947
I just had this very issue repaired on my 06 with a 3.5. The gasket that was removed was missing the metal center (looks kind of like an apple coring kitchen utinsel) where the metal went I don't want to think about. The gasket was under $10 from the Stealer and installation cost me $75.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil leak