Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Need help, battery service charging system. 06 ss

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 01:00 PM
Default Need help, battery service charging system. 06 ss

Hello all, I apologize for posting this in the new member section, but I can't post anywhere else on this forum. So if an admin sees this can you please move this to the tech section. Thank You! (Moved YW)

I have a 2006 monte ss. I had no problems before this, but the stock battery terminal connectors are crap and I could easily pull them off even when tightened to the max to the battery. So I went to "the zone" and bought some OEM battery terminals (The marine ones were bigger than the red/black colored ones). So I installed new terminals and connected the wires exactly as they were connected prior to me cutting the old ones off. 3 black, 3 red. Now I get the battery light and says "service battery charging system" The car runs and drives fine. multi meter shows around 14 volts from alternator to battery. And I turn the lights on and radio, only drops to about 13.8. The battery is only about a month old. Can I ignore this? Or will something happen? Thanks!

Anyone know if this has to do with the circle sensor that goes around both positive cable wires?

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/at...1&d=1418756213

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1.jpg (89.6 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by STUMPMI; 12-17-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:34 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I moved your post to the Repair help section.
I cant see why changing out the battery terminal connectors would cause you to have this problem..

Since the battery is new...
Its quite possible now that you have a good connection to the battery that the alternator maybe or may have been failing all along? (Possible bad/worn out diode) ...

I'm guessing you put a new battery in it due to a charging/starting problem..

Have you had the alternator tested?
Hope this helps...
I'm sure someone else will chime in with more ideas/help..

Thanks for joining the MCF Family..

Last edited by STUMPMI; 12-17-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:55 PM

Thanks for moving the post to the right place.

I didn't take the alternator off to test at a shop or anything, just used a multi meter while the car was running. The car has 77,000 miles if this helps. The delco came with the car. Didn't have any problems until I changed the terminals. I also should of mentioned I checked for trouble codes. and there isn't one. I have reset the light and it will come back on rather quickly. It holds charge and have been driving the car like this for about a week. I thought it might be this sensor with a circle that the positive power cables go thru. Oh well. thanks all for your help.

Old 10-06-2021, 02:21 PM
Default Long shot

Originally Posted by 2006SSMC
Thanks for moving the post to the right place.

I didn't take the alternator off to test at a shop or anything, just used a multi meter while the car was running. The car has 77,000 miles if this helps. The delco came with the car. Didn't have any problems until I changed the terminals. I also should of mentioned I checked for trouble codes. and there isn't one. I have reset the light and it will come back on rather quickly. It holds charge and have been driving the car like this for about a week. I thought it might be this sensor with a circle that the positive power cables go thru. Oh well. thanks all for your help.
I know this is a long shot as this thread is 7 years old but did you ever figure out your issue with this. I have an 06' 3.5 as my work beater. The exact same thing happened to me that happened to you after I replaced the terminals. I've ordered a new current sensor before I found this post. Just looking to get a little confirmation that my guess of it being that sensor is correct or not. Thank you!!