Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

brake lights wont bright

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 12:57 AM
Question brake lights wont bright

hey guys and girls
haven't posted much on here.. well much at all, feel kind of guilty

I have a 1997 Monte z34

But i have a problem; my rear brake lights wont brighten when i step on the brake. The third light behind the rear windshield turns on, but the bottom two don't brighten. BUT they do turn on with the regular running lights, just wont brighten!
I had installed a custom light on the trunk lid a while back (just for the fun of it) and i remember having shorted out the circuit in one of the break light bulb sockets while poking around with the multimeter. So the fuse blew, i replaced that. But still the bottom brake lights don't work, while the third still does work.
Is there a separate fuse just for the bottom two? i have check both of the back bulbs for continuity, they are fine. The resistance should be noticeably high for a popped bulb right?

I also have the fast blinker thing, which might be because of this, or maybe the front two. Ill fix that later.
also where can i buy bulbs for the four fender lights? the bulb casing and wire seem kind of one unit. im not sure if they come apart

Last edited by oaky812; 06-06-2011 at 01:02 AM. Reason: missed info
Old 06-07-2011, 11:44 PM

Doubt its your that little flasher fuse doing this. That part is like 2$ anyway.

To me it sounds as though your turn signal switch relay in your steering column is has gone bad. Have you ever had to have it replaced before? I know several people with W-bodies that have had to have them replaced, including myself.

If I recall correctly it was something like 120 for the part, another 100 or so for labor. This is the one project I decided not to tackle.