Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Info: Mc ignition recall?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 04:18 PM
Default Mc ignition recall?

2000 LS Heard on this site something bout ignition recall? Is dealer supposed to be replacing ignition switch? because when i recieved a recall notice i went to dealer. they said they were only going to put some rubber or plastic in my keys so they hang from only the middle......I think my switch is bad cause intermittently car is hard to start & stalls randomly. i'd like to know if there really is a recall on the switch...thanx

Old 03-19-2017, 04:47 PM

The recall is for unintended key rotation. the dealer will modify the key only. the switch does commonly go bad, its not part of the recall sadly.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:22 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2016
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

My wife's cavalier was having stalls while driving, I got a VIN # cut key and no stalls since. Worth a try cheaper than the ignition

Old 03-20-2017, 03:56 AM

thankyou Sharpie & Shawn. my keys are the original keys. i have 295k miles on car, thanx to mobil1 synthetic. i guess its about due for a new switch...lol...it was worth a try. i appreciate your help. thanx again...