Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

low tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 02:04 PM
Monte Of The Month - July 2005
Default low tire pressure

my low tire pressure thing came on so i checked them an they are all ok but the light is still on

Old 05-15-2005, 02:22 PM
Default RE: low tire pressure

The low tire pressure sensor has to be reset through your radio. Your owners manual will give you details.

Was one or more of your tires way off???

TVW

Old 05-15-2005, 02:32 PM
Monte Of The Month - July 2005

a little low but not that low

Old 05-15-2005, 02:50 PM

dont quote me but the tire pressures are monitored and when there is a difference in pressure greater than 10 psi or so between any two tires it will set the light. also if you have rotated the tires you will need to reset the light. i know how to do it but i cant remember the buttons, its a routine.

Old 05-15-2005, 06:16 PM

As usual Chevy_jj, I would quote you on this one....

I've read the same as you have outlined. From what I have learned of the LTPS I don't think there is a sensor per say in the tire but I think it monitors rotation speeds of the tires. Chevy, do you know of the mechanics of the low tire pressure feature?

TVW

Old 05-16-2005, 11:59 AM

I wonder if it is a sensor that is based on the level of the car, i.e. if a tire is low the car leans to that corner more than the others and the sensor reads that.

When I lowered my car and put the new tires and rims on, the low tire pressure warning came on and I had to reset it. It is easy to do and the instructions are in the manual.

Old 05-16-2005, 01:49 PM

I would be interested in learning the true mechanics of the system. I'll have to do some research on it..

TVW

Old 05-18-2005, 05:16 PM

hey sorry ive been busy. here is a direct quote cut from the gm online service manual that we use at work, this is the TPM description and opperation.

In Monitor Mode 2, the EBCM has fully learned the tire pressure calibration for the speed range and has full detection capability for a tire pressure condition. Once the TPM system is calibrated the EBCM monitors the ABS wheel speed sensor inputs, which will all be the same as the learned calibration if the tire pressures stay the same. If the pressure increases or decreases in a tire, so too will that tires circumference and radius, which causes that wheel speed sensor input to change. The EBCM recognizes this change in wheel speed as a tire pressure condition. If the pressure in one tire becomes at least 69 kPa (10 psi) higher or lower than the other three the EBCM commands the IPC message center to display the LOW TIRE PRESSURE warning message via a class 2 serial data circuit. This warning message is a re-configurable telltale and is ranked as lowest priority and may not be displayed if a higher priority message is requested at the same time. This message does not appear if more than one tire has high or low pressure, or if the system is not calibrated properly. The TPM system does not alert the driver to which tire is high or low. To turn off the LOW TIRE PRESSURE warning message, refer to Tire Pressure Monitor Reset Procedure .

Old 05-18-2005, 07:07 PM

HUH?

Old 05-18-2005, 08:00 PM

LOL......

Just as I suspected, in plain english, a tire with a lower air pressure will travel the same distance as one with a higher PSI at a slower RPM due to it's size difference.

TVW

Quick Reply: low tire pressure