Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

LOW COOLANT LEVEL AGAIN...:(

Old 03-20-2007, 11:54 PM
Default LOW COOLANT LEVEL AGAIN...:(

I had the low coolant level message on my dash, so i went to jiffy lube and they filled my radiator again but said i had to clean my coolant resevoir tank. I cleaned my resevoir tank and now again the damn message went on. I think it might be the sensor. Any help on this issue would be great! THANKs

Old 03-21-2007, 04:31 PM
Default RE: LOW COOLANT LEVEL AGAIN...:(

I had the same problem on my 02 and it was the sensor in the tank. It happened twice, both time had it replaced by GM. Also finn out the signature block so people know what kind of MC we are talking about!!!!! I hope this helps you out, that message is damn annoying!!!!!

Old 03-26-2007, 05:44 PM

If the engine is not burning coolant or leaking it, the next place I would go is the sensor. Mine is a grey little square box located on the radiator. It is down towards the bottome, i think driver side, this is on a 3.8L 01ss, its like $40 for a new sensor. If you are in this deep, mine as well flush the system! It not hard to replace, it just pulls out, but coolant is going to leak!

Old 03-27-2007, 04:03 AM

I think he said that Jiffy Lube filled it again. This sounds like it was low again. Maybe the sensor is telling the truth.[sm=bangbang.gif]

Old 03-28-2007, 09:21 PM

I would start by checking your fluid to see if it is low again. If it is, it sure as hell isn't the sensor. If it is low, then the logical notion is your fluid is leaking somewhere. Take a good look to see if you have any puddles building up where you park, in any divids on the engine... usually the transmission, check out the water pump to see if there is a leak there. Also check your oil to see if it is leaking in there.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:56 AM

You can "rent" a radiator pressure tester from AZ and put pressure on it and look for a leak them. Water pumps have sometimes leak out of the drain hole behind the pulley only while it it warm and running and can burn the coolant off before it drips. Checkfor a trail onthe bottom, might need a mirror and aflashlight.

Is Jiffy lube actually putting coolant in or just saying they are?

Old 03-29-2007, 04:26 AM

I think that its funny that someone would think that the sensor could not be bad. Like I stated in my 1st post my 02 did the exact same thing. With the wife working at a dealership, we took the car in and had the entire system gone through, had the pressure test done leak checked every possible test was completed. In the end it was a bad sensor, when the second one went bad did the same thing and guess what, it was a bad sensor. The car was an 02 with 18000 miles on it the 1st time it went out and had 30000 on it the second time. If you have a scanner it will also throw a code that tells you it is a sensor. I know everyone here wants to be helpful, so take everyones advice but do not rule out the sensor. I hope this helps out!

Old 03-29-2007, 10:47 PM

ORIGINAL: a612662

I think that its funny that someone would think that the sensor could not be bad. Like I stated in my 1st post my 02 did the exact same thing. With the wife working at a dealership, we took the car in and had the entire system gone through, had the pressure test done leak checked every possible test was completed. In the end it was a bad sensor, when the second one went bad did the same thing and guess what, it was a bad sensor. The car was an 02 with 18000 miles on it the 1st time it went out and had 30000 on it the second time. If you have a scanner it will also throw a code that tells you it is a sensor. I know everyone here wants to be helpful, so take everyones advice but do not rule out the sensor. I hope this helps out!
Oh come on!!! Electonics NEVER go bad.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:37 PM

I've had to replace the sensor twice in 13 months on my '01. The battery has to come out to replace the sensor.....what a p.i.t.a. [:@]

Old 05-03-2007, 09:55 AM

Sensors are easy to test with a multimeter.[sm=smiley23.gif]

Iam starting to suspectthese engines are loose and make the coolant dirty, because I had the dealership clean my reservoir due to it looking filthy after only 19,000 miles. I'll probably have them do it again soon. I'm not loosing any coolant, but I think these engines make the coolant filthy somehow.

2004 SS 3800 Supercharged

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LOW COOLANT LEVEL AGAIN...:(