Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Won't downshift? Where'd the power go?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 02:06 AM
Default Won't downshift? Where'd the power go?

1997 MC LS, 153,000. Brother gave it to me - the price was right! A few problems developing. I noticed that every once in a while when I first start driving the car, there is a lack of power. If I stomp on the accelerator, the transmission won't downshift in provide the power that it normally has. After 10 minutes of driving or so, it will seem to go back to normal. Any ideas?

Also, I've searched the forum for this, but can't seem to find anything definative. Over the past 3 days, something is draining my battery overnight. I jump the car, it runs fine, then in the morning, there is absolutely nothing when turning the key. I never experienced any difficulty starting the car like the battery was getting lower. Just one day - dead, nothing. I started it yesterday with a jump and drove it for about an hour. The volts light came on for the first time and stayed on for about 3 minutes, then went out. The next morning ... dead, nothing. Going to check the battery and alternator tomorrow, just thought I'd drope this problem to see if you have any other suggestions.

Thanks for your help.

Old 01-14-2007, 02:00 PM
Default RE: Won't downshift? Where'd the power go?

When were the plug/wires last replaced. 153,000 is a lot of miles on plugs/wires if they haven't been replaced. I'd pull a plug and check it out. Also check the gap of the plugs. Someone didn't gap the plugs in my 3/4 suburban one time (they were .040 when they were supposed to be .060) It ran fine all summer, but when it got cold it wouldn't start on the first crank. I noticed a huge power and mileage difference too when I fixed the plugs.

As for the battery, you're heading down the right track. Have the battery and alt. checked because that's about all it could be. I could be a loose cable on the battery terminal too though. Check if your cables are tight. I'm guessing it will be a bad battery. Good luck and keep us updated!

Old 01-14-2007, 02:15 PM

Definitely start with a tuneup, and do a Tranny Pan Drop and fill to get some new fluid in there!!!

Old 01-14-2007, 02:39 PM

Battery: DEAD. That's problem number one.

Thanks for your suggestions on the power loss issue. You're both right. I really don't know the maintenance history on the car so I'd better coddle it for a while. I'll keep you posted.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:24 PM

Replace the battery..
Sounds like you have a shorted cell in the battery.
This could also affect the way the car runs.....
Start with battery first.....
after that, check the alternator out.... im pretty sure that will be fine.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:06 AM

Autozone said the battery was dead. Idiots. Wal-Mart said it was the alternator. Chalk one up for the big chain - even though I hate them. Anyway, replaced alternator and battery (Wal-Mart gave me a free one) and all is well in that dept. Checked tranny fluid - PINT low. Replaced and no problems as of yet. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the replies and ideas.